CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

19th June 2021, 03:08
Brendan,
Very interesting about prior knowledge! I really have no idea. For a moment I thought the two might have collaborated on the "Bogus" puzzles, but further research revealed that "Bogus" was Puck/Arachne/Nutmeg (as revealed by jono iirc on this forum and Puck on 225).
I found an interesting interview with Brendan:
https://www.crosswordunclued.com/2013/03/interview-brian-greer.html
He's an Irishman living Stateside! Didn't mention any particular friendship with the Grauniad setter in question, though.
11 of 93  -   Report This Post

alzy

19th June 2021, 03:24
I have to say that this was challenging enough to elicit a smug smile for every clue I solved. And I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a collaborative effort - hence the multi-themes ??
12 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th June 2021, 03:40
Hi Alzy,

Indeed, I reckon it's every bit as difficult as last week's but I agree with you and Geeker that it was very enjoyable.

Hi Geeker,

Thanks for that excellent article. I'm sure you are already aware but, just in case you aren't, a Forum regular named Syzygy posts monthly links to the Harpers and The Wall Street Journal cryptic crosswords by Emily Cox and Richard Maltby Jr. whom Brendan praises in the article.
13 of 93  -   Report This Post

johnson

19th June 2021, 03:44
Evening all
Relieved to get the tick in the box, as I can’t fully parse all of this elegant puzzle.
FOI - 10ac
LOI - 27d not fully understood
COD - 23 d

(Thanks for help with 20ac parsing. )
14 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th June 2021, 04:04
Hi Johnson,

I've heard reference to this "tick" upon completion before - is it just on the phone website and only if you've signed in, or is there an app? Can you elaborate - thanks:-)
15 of 93  -   Report This Post

geeker

19th June 2021, 04:05
johnson, thanks for the reminder on 27. I was so sure of the answer I didn't fully parse, and also found it obscure. But, googling "(solution of 27) X of Y" (insert evident name for X and country for Y, respectively) gives a strong candidate, albeit from a much later time.
16 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th June 2021, 04:38
Got it! It's the Guardian Puzzles App. I've just installed it on my phone and got a lovely green tick for this week's crossword - Hurrah!! 😃
17 of 93  -   Report This Post

johnson

19th June 2021, 04:51
Hi Brendan
There is an iPad app which offers a green tick when the puzzle is successfully completed. No tick if incorrect answers submitted.
Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I don’t know how you get it finished so early!
18 of 93  -   Report This Post

johnson

19th June 2021, 04:52
Thanks geeker
19 of 93  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th June 2021, 04:59
Thanks Johnson, I've downloaded the android app and am currently enjoying a very difficult Sudoku - great stuff:-)
20 of 93  -   Report This Post