CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th June 2021, 00:52
This week's Prize is by Crucible, a setter we don't see too often (or do we?) - although this is of a high standard so I look forward to seeing him/her again.

FOI was 10a followed by 2d.

I took a while to get going, mainly because my usual technique of beginning by looking for the obvious anagrams and initial letters clues came unstuck when I just couldn't any - well, hardly any!

If you do get stuck there is a long anagram in the acrosses.

I did initially wonder if there might be a golfing theme, when 3 the first handful of clues I solved all contained golfing terms but ....no - it was coincidence.

COD - The wonderful 11a - A timeless fable by a party devotee (10) - such a smooth surface:-)

There are still a couple I can't parse, namely 19a and 22d but I'm pretty sure of my answers so will hope for a PDM.

As always, please feel free to leave a post letting us know how you got on and what you thought of the puzzle. It's been so good to see so many new posters joining our friendly blog each week - and remember, if you get stuck you can always ask for a hint.

Thanks to Crucible for a most enjoyable puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 00:54
... and, of course, I immediately see the parsing of 19a where I remembered seeing "Munro" before:-)
2 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 00:57
... and 22d PDM arrives - "Order student" - brilliant 😜
3 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th June 2021, 00:59
Thanks to Crucible, who I also don't recall seeing often in the Prize slot.
Started quickly, then slow but steady, but the last 5 or so clues took a lot of time. Many fine clues, I see a rather general but pervasive theme.
FOI 2, LOI 23 (particularly struggled with 22 and 23). COD 22, but also considered 23, 5, 11 and 6.
22 is a dd: "order student" and "what she claims to possess" (the latter 2 words).
4 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th June 2021, 01:04
Aha, now I see the parsing of the first word of 19 (second word is pretty standard)...
19 is thereby promoted to co-COD!
5 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 01:05
Hi Geeker,

Is there a broad sporting theme? I'm useless at spotting these things 😢

If I'd parsed 22d a bit earlier I would have considered it as a possible COD contender.
6 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 01:06
Nothing quite like that PDM (Penny Drop Moment) when it finally arrives:-)
7 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th June 2021, 01:09
Brendan,
Agreed on theme. Convenient that 2 was FOI; I "got" the theme within the first 4 or 5 solved clues!
8 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 01:15
Thanks Geeker, similar experience here.
9 of 77  -   Report This Post

timb

5th June 2021, 01:38
Thanks for the hints about 22d. My last 3 after that are 14a and 17a and 15d. Any hints?!
10 of 77  -   Report This Post