CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th June 2021, 01:44
Hi Tim,

14a - 3 letter "wool supplier" around/"hiding" a 4 letter "blemish" and both these are surrounded by 2 letter "book" - definition is "course".

17a - 3 letter "swimmer" around 2 letter "the Spanish" - definition is "race".

15d - 5 letter "signifies then 4 letter "big games" - definition is "wealth check" (almost wrote the 2nd word answer!)

11 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 01:46
Sorry Tim...

15d - 4 letter "big game" (I accidentally added an S)
12 of 77  -   Report This Post

timb

5th June 2021, 02:01
Thanks Brendan. Very helpful.
Also figured out the Munro in 19a - new to me (as was the humorous writer in 28a)
I agree that 11a is a great surface.
Pity there weren't more anagrams but plenty of fair clueing and most were gettable with nothing too obscure, though learned a few new words along the way (eg 'boozer' in 3 down)
13 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 02:08
Thanks Tim, I did initially wonder if 3d contained a 'ghost anagram' in the wordplay, a much frowned upon device in crosswords, but the "upset" means something else so, as you say, all is fair:-)
14 of 77  -   Report This Post

alzy

5th June 2021, 02:23
After a good start with 75% completed in decent time... total paralysis in SE Corner. The various hints were for mainly other areas - but were great for confirming parsing where I had none. So thank you for that. Then, as so often happens, a glimmer of light appeared and everything fell into place. I liked 11a too. FOI 4. LOI 29a.
15 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 02:30
Hi Alzy,

The SE corner was mostly empty, even when the the other 3 were all complete! I'd seen that definition of "dilettante" before but, needless to say, I didn't remember it and only got it once I had all the crossers😜
16 of 77  -   Report This Post

alzy

5th June 2021, 03:15
Yes. I think I got lucky with 4d in that I could see certain letters that had to be there, but discovered the dilettante connection while researching possible solutions.
17 of 77  -   Report This Post

mystogre

5th June 2021, 03:44
Hi Brendan & others.
I count at least 17 with a sporting connection, covering winter, rugby, horse racing, golf, summer, swimming and supporters among others.
Thoroughly enjoyable with my lunchtime coffee.
18 of 77  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th June 2021, 03:55
Hi Mystogre,

I can see 17 but that's not including the clue that actually contains the word "sport" in the answer.
19 of 77  -   Report This Post

johnson

5th June 2021, 06:04
Thanks for all the comments. Good start, and now stuck on last two clues: 22d and 28ac.
I’ve got -O-I - - and -E-T - - -
Any hints?
20 of 77  -   Report This Post