CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

femmenoire

5th June 2021, 10:39
Funny how such a pervasive theme can hide itself in plain sight. It was only discussions here that alerted me to it even after solving most of the grid…

2d is pleasing. 24a is lovely too.

I have some queries:

Is 18d’s definition “hard to catch”?
I have an answer which contains a Roman “quartet” but not seeing how the rest of it works.

23a is this a word for permit? Bit lost with this one

19a any hints as to what this Munro means please? I have an answer that has “a top” for the second word and the first word seems clear from the middle letter from another answer but I don’t quite understand why

22d feeling a bit of a numbskull because your hints are not helping me get this one…

Re10a Imagine the disappointment when a cafe menu says that a sandwich comes with 10a’s and it is the American interpretation of this word not the treat that you had in mind! This has happened to me on more than one occasion since living in the US of A. Finally I have learnt to be on the lookout for this Brit-trap.
41 of 77  -   Report This Post

jono

5th June 2021, 11:01
Hi Femmenoire, Munro is a reference to a British writer’s pen name (snubs, as in remove, the ‘a’). Top is the second word.
42 of 77  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

5th June 2021, 11:12
Thanks Jono!
43 of 77  -   Report This Post

janusz

5th June 2021, 11:23
foi 23, loi 25, an enjoyable puzzle spoilt for me by 25, it should have been throat or pouch rather than stomach, cod 29.
44 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th June 2021, 11:42
I also found 25 a bit of a sour note. It occurred in Independent 10,804 (Wiglaf) less than a week ago, hence an immediate write-in. [I solve the daily Guardians and Indies.]
45 of 77  -   Report This Post

mathi

5th June 2021, 11:50
22d: the 6 letter answer means a student or beginner (in a religious order). Split the answer as 2, 4, it then means ‘without evil or bad habit’.
46 of 77  -   Report This Post

davel

5th June 2021, 12:03
Hi everybody.
A very enjoyable puzzle indeed. FOI: 12ac, LOI: 29ac - or will be when I get it!
COD: 22dn - Great clue that I wouldn’t have solved without all the helpful hints on here.
I suppose I’m one of the new posters on here that Brendan referred to. I agree that this is a very friendly place, many thanks to you all. 👍
Now, can anyone help with 29ac? I’m completely stuck!
Best wishes everyone!
47 of 77  -   Report This Post

mathi

5th June 2021, 12:08
29a: if add m first, it means ruining. It is a ‘theme’ word, meaning a sport, often done near a bank side.
48 of 77  -   Report This Post

davel

5th June 2021, 12:13
Thanks mathi! 👍

I rather like that clue now. 😀
49 of 77  -   Report This Post

davel

5th June 2021, 12:40
Hi femmenoire,

18d: One letter eastern + vessel containing the Roman quartet gives “hard to catch”

23a: Yes, it’s a word for permit.

22d: I’m struggling to give you help here without spoiling. Maybe others can help?

All the best!
50 of 77  -   Report This Post