CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

1st May 2021, 18:18
Hi everyone

How could I have not got 18d, a task I've been doing many days over the past month, though I can't parse it. 24ac was easy once I'd got 18d. But I still have 24d, 28ac and 25d to get. Any hints for 24d, which was Abi's first one in, will be gratefully received.
71 of 88  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st May 2021, 18:19
24d is a cunning hidden
72 of 88  -   Report This Post

roof

1st May 2021, 18:30
Thanks Chris

Got it and 28ac. I thought I had an answer to 25d, but it's not in my Chambers. But once I turned it round, there it was.

Thanks to everyone for your help. FOI was 10ac, though I didn't get the parsing. LOI was 25d and COD (whatever that means) was 15d.

I can boast that I knew all the words apart from the theme words.

I've never come across Bogus before, but I do only have time for the Saturday xword.
73 of 88  -   Report This Post

abicoop

1st May 2021, 18:43
Was all fine a couple of days later thanks! Hoping I'll also be better after my 2nd if my body's done it's job making antibodies this time.

The puzzle about the bogs sounds fun, thanks Jono. I do like a humorous crossword.

Roof bogus is a collaborative effort, I can't remember which three - someone mentioned it earlier. They have compiled together a couple of times before apparently.
74 of 88  -   Report This Post

abicoop

1st May 2021, 18:59
All finished now, last in was 3d which is a new term for me (I am terrible at 12a)

Think I'll go with 14a as my COD (Clue of day, Roof) though I did enjoy the ones related to the 11a-ness.
75 of 88  -   Report This Post

philo

1st May 2021, 20:35
Hello all

I've been enjoying this a lot and doing it on and off while engaged in other things (not 11, 12 however).

While everybody else has seemed to struggle lower down on the grid, my problems are with 1d and 9a ( although I think I have the second word due to the crossers). Like Brendan I always have a problem with the short clues.

My CODs are 18 and 19 down, purely for the humour.

Cheers

76 of 88  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st May 2021, 20:41
1 is mostly last letters - it's a bird.

9 is an outdayed chemical term - i could give a much broader hint
77 of 88  -   Report This Post

philo

1st May 2021, 20:54
Thanks ChrisE

1 was a slap on the forehead moment once you pointed it out. it's too easy not to read the clue the right way. And I'd not heard of 9.

We live and learn
78 of 88  -   Report This Post

longtimelurker

1st May 2021, 21:47
I enjoy 12a (though I've never done it 11a!) and belong to a couple of Facebook groups which have been discussing today's special occasion, so I confess that when I read the instructions I thought of the solutions to the four theme defining clues before I'd even read them. The letter counts gave me confidence and I could then work backwards to solve the clues. So 4 FOI for me today.
My COD was 18d.
79 of 88  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd May 2021, 07:30
Taxing but enjoyable. Finished bar one clue which is 8d. Just not seeing it at all.

Had problems with a few of these.

I can't parse 26a or 27d. I can see 26a but not getting the 28 reference. Or if I am getting it it's a bit clumsy. Not a word I knew either.

27 I can only see the definition I think.

80 of 88  -   Report This Post