CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ethereal

31st October 2020, 13:05
Thanks for that.
31 of 52  -   Report This Post

abicoop

31st October 2020, 15:34
Super thanks rogissimo, I'd wondered that but was trying to make a container out of the 2nd half of the clue, doh!
Fun crossword
32 of 52  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

31st October 2020, 15:54
Hi ethereal
Sorry, I’d failed to spot that you’d already asked about the loaf - I’d have answered much earlier if I had. Sorry for the delay!
33 of 52  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

31st October 2020, 18:33
Maybe it’s the mood I’m in but beyond the satisfaction of building the answers, I didn’t find this one a particularly entertaining solve. The theme was of minimal help to me, despite getting 22a early doors. I have limited knowledge in that subject area, but gained a bit by looking up potential candidates from the across answers. I wonder if sticking so rigidly to the theme limited the setter’s creativity here.

I think the answer to 21d is referring to the first part a substitute for a meatloaf. This sort does exist it seems, but the nut one is better known - it was often mocked in the 1970s.

I still have 3d and 7d to go. Some help would be welcome please.

Hints in this forum have been very helpful as per usual thanks!
34 of 52  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st October 2020, 18:37
21d "loaf" is slang for "head" or ????.
3d "staff" is a verb. The artist is famous for his "foreshortening"!
7d is a rather ugly 2 word expression for "regarding".
35 of 52  -   Report This Post

brendan

31st October 2020, 18:39
Hi FemmeNoire,

3d - First three letters are from "staff" (as a verb) follwed by an anagram/"sacked" of "agent" - definition is "Italian artist" (a specific one)

7d - Is hidden reversed/"up" in the clue, it's a Latin term meaning "touching" (as in 'concerning')
36 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

31st October 2020, 19:11
Hi Brendan et al

As usual I started rather later than most of you (I've been busy making my first batch of Christmas puddings) and first read through revealed only one answer -10ac. I actually got 22ac but couldn't see the parsing, but thanks to the hints, I now have a few more. I'm no cosmologist, but I'm hoping answers will come for the rest. I did at least get the artist in 3d. I'd never heard of 23ac.

Please can I have hint for 2d and 12d.

37 of 52  -   Report This Post

jono

31st October 2020, 19:16
Hi femmenoire, I tend to agree that the theme wasn’t particularly useful in solving the clues, but it served as fun end game of sorts.
Cheekily, I note the progression from a half moon last week to a full one today! ;)
38 of 52  -   Report This Post

brendan

31st October 2020, 19:16
Hi Roof,

Christmas pudding sounds delish - lets hope we all get a Christmas this yea😁

2d - 4 letters for "perfect" as a verb around/"circling" an anagram/"rocks" of "isle on" - definition is "eagles maybe" (in a sporting sense)

12d - 5 letters for "Italian footballers" (a specific team) + single letter for "British" + 4 letters for "grass" - definition is "produce a cross" (nothing to with football)
39 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

31st October 2020, 21:00
Thanks Brendan

I managed to get 12d when I thought of the only Italian football team I've ever heard of. But I'm still stick on 2d. I don't do sport, so thinking of sporting eagles has defeated me.

I've been googling constellations and stars, but so far it hasn't helped me .

A hint for 11ac might help.
40 of 52  -   Report This Post