CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grahamr

24th October 2020, 17:23
Challenging this week! Need help with the following:-

8d Just leave odd parts for Henry Archer (5)

I have C-T-R. Any ideas? Help gratefully received.
1 of 44  -   Report This Post

ginge

24th October 2020, 18:02
Cuter, archer as in more arch.
Cut (out) the even letters of hEnRy = cut + er
2 of 44  -   Report This Post

grahamr

24th October 2020, 18:44
Many thanks! Never dreamt it would be so convoluted!
3 of 44  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

24th October 2020, 20:34
Agreed - very challenging. I much preferred last week's!

However I am now down to 4 & would welcome assistance with 2 of these:

28A - Drive away unauthorised pair of canvassers at the front (4)
T?O?
&
29A - Kept in hand men's prize at festival (5, 3)
?A??? D?R

What is throwing me is that I can not find a three-letter word "D?R" although both letters apparently are correct.
4 of 44  -   Report This Post

malone

24th October 2020, 20:46
Bear, I was trying to come up with a hint for 29 A, but I can't! The answer is Palme D'Or. It's Palmed, kept in hand and OR, other ranks, men. It's a big prize at a big festival, I can't remember the details.
5 of 44  -   Report This Post

stevie gee

24th October 2020, 20:47
28 twoc
6 of 44  -   Report This Post

malone

24th October 2020, 20:48
Bear, I meant to say - I never like the letter count for answers like this, I feel it could have been 5,1, 2, I think I'm on a hiding to nothing, most puzzles using words like this ignore apostrophes.
7 of 44  -   Report This Post

stevie gee

24th October 2020, 20:48
28 steal a car - Taken Without Owner's Consent
8 of 44  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

25th October 2020, 07:30
Please would Malone & Stevie Gee accept my assurances that I am not an ingrate ; I sent a reply thanking them at around 2053, adding that I was off to bed as I did not want to miss a certain radio programme (John Suchet's series on Beethoven, in case you wondered.)

Unfortunately this does not seem to have reached its destination. Please accept my apologies for this.

Incidentally does anyone know why this facility uses an American spell-checking system? It seems strangely perverse.
9 of 44  -   Report This Post

malone

25th October 2020, 07:37
Bear, thanks. I'd never have you down as an ingrate, so no need to apologise. I hope you enjoyed your radio show.

PS I don't know why the spellchecker is American, but it's fairly common on many of the sites I use. I just ignore it!
10 of 44  -   Report This Post