CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

strangelybrown

25th October 2020, 08:42
Absolutely hated this, got less than a quarter. Many I got through online cheating I still don’t see. EG:
6a Inferior sound device with important second function.
Answer is Mickey Mouse. Why ‘sound device with important second function’?
15a The crossword editor retained by Express is dull.
Answer is Samey. Shouldn’t the clue read ‘setter’ not ‘editor’? Or maybe this crossword setter is also the crossword editor but how’s anyone supposed to know that?
12 Friend to bear errors expected long ago.
Answer is Eeyore. Where’s the friend and errors?
And that’s just three in the top right, I’ve got similar inexplicable (to me) answers all over this - and much more black space.
11 of 44  -   Report This Post

stevie gee

25th October 2020, 08:47
12 ee = errors and eeyore is a friend of Winnie the Pooh?
12 of 44  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

25th October 2020, 08:48
7a mic/sounds like mike - sound device
key = important
mo = moment
use = function
13 of 44  -   Report This Post

merryphil

25th October 2020, 09:04
The frequency with which the search bar completes the clue as one types is testament to the numbers (me included) resting to the computer. Not really enjoying this one, feel a touch cheated.
14 of 44  -   Report This Post

rocketman

25th October 2020, 09:19
This has been a real Dickens of a puzzle, but I like a challenge! This took about three times longer than normal, as compared to other Jumbos.
However , I cannot fully parse these two:-
19 Down - "Rogues succeeded with much." I think that this must be SCHMEARS, but I cannot see where "rogues" comes into the reckoning.
59 Down - "Film star in film coat putting king in his place in Ireland." This has to be TARKA, but cannot get the Irish connection.
Also, earlier on, the two E's in EEYORE (12 Down) stand for "errors excepted", so that all ties in properly.
15 of 44  -   Report This Post

rocketman

25th October 2020, 09:25
I've just seen that TARA is a village in Ireland.
16 of 44  -   Report This Post

merryphil

25th October 2020, 09:25
Hills of Tara, Eire. I only do one crossword a week, the Times Jumbo Cryptic, I am not very good at crosswords but for some reason this"fits".
Generally get finished by Sunday lunch, my worst effort was by Tuesday lunchtime, so challenge, yes by all means, but.......
17 of 44  -   Report This Post

rocketman

25th October 2020, 09:32
Hello, MerryPhil - Thanks for that . I kept thinking of Tara in Gone with the Wind, but there's a real Tara, as well as the fictional one!
18 of 44  -   Report This Post

malone

25th October 2020, 09:59
19 Scumbags, rogues.
S, succeeded
Cum, with, Latin,
Bags, much.
19 of 44  -   Report This Post

rocketman

25th October 2020, 10:10
Thanks a lot, Malone - you're a star!
20 of 44  -   Report This Post