CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

strangelybrown

25th October 2020, 18:22
Thank you for the replies. I find this crossword wildly variable, going from the interesting and accessible to weeks like this one, which for me was impenetrable and joyless.
31 of 44  -   Report This Post

nauticalnick

25th October 2020, 20:00
As I am nowhere near completing this puzzle, let alone helping anyone, all I can do is add an interesting fact (at least I hope it's a fact! It's only something I've heard!)

"Bis" referenced earlier, meaning "twice" etc., is what our French friends would cry out if the want an encore. Why they don't shout encore, or why we do, (or even whether this is actually true), I don't know , but there it is.

Stay well, everyone!
32 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th October 2020, 20:03
nauticalnick
"bis" in France is also the equivalent of our HR or "holiday route". It is short for "bison fute", or "wily bison"!
33 of 44  -   Report This Post

themadwomanintheattic

26th October 2020, 19:49
Strangelybrown, FIRST COME FIRST SERVED is an anagram of F (female) TERRIFIC STRESS MOVED. The anagram indicator is SUFFERING and the definition is AS QUEUE DEALT WITH. Hope this helps.
34 of 44  -   Report This Post

parallelogram

29th October 2020, 09:21
Malone: It is the main prize at the Cannes Film Festival.
I agree also with your comment about apostrophes. Since hyphenated words are indicated, should it not also be the case that an apostrophe is indicated in the same way e.g. (5,1'2)?
35 of 44  -   Report This Post

malone

29th October 2020, 09:33
Parallelogram, thanks for the Palme D'Or info.

I don't know when or why the marking of apostrophes disappeared from clues, but it has resulted in a few headshaking moments for me!
36 of 44  -   Report This Post

parallelogram

29th October 2020, 09:44
I do not usually get round to trying the Times Saturday Jumbo until the following Wednesday or Thursday. Having had my first read through of all the clues without solving a single one and now having read the comments about this puzzle and explanations of some of the answers, I am going to abandon any further time-wasting and wait for the next one.
37 of 44  -   Report This Post

trevsmif

30th October 2020, 11:32
like many others i found this week's way above my pay grade! I too resorted to digital assistants. Agree about the variability between weeks but I am pleased to do so well in general as I only got one O level before leaving school.
Can you help with the following:
5 down. What shows highs and lots of plot to remove the old guard? (6,3)
r?t?e? m?p
guess the second word is map, like contour map, but doesn't fit.

34 down. Serializes (sic) a fine novel, not interfering with anything? (7-5)
?a?s?e? f???e

57 ac. Military command dispatched divisions in advance? (7,4)
p?e???t, ?r??

55 ac. Real nice uniform that's worn (9)
e???e?t??

solving these will give me a leg up to continue head scratching
thanks

38 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2020, 11:57
34 laissez-faire
39 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2020, 11:58
57 present arms? Don't see the parsing
40 of 44  -   Report This Post