CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

20th September 2020, 07:51
Last week the connection was that there were three 2 word expressions beginning RR. I, for one, missed it. Thanks to 225!
Rabble Rousing
Ready Reckoner
Russian Roulette
11 of 48  -   Report This Post

smot

20th September 2020, 08:16
I too found this one somewhat easier - all done in just over an hour.
Either I'm getting better at cryptics, or this one caught me at the right moment.
I'll test the water with a "Paul" :-)
12 of 48  -   Report This Post

phil10000

20th September 2020, 09:41
Morning All
Interesting reading some of the comments on here, because that's two in a row that I've found much more simple than usual, possibly too simple: eg, doesn't 7D belong in a quick crossword?
That said, I can't parse either 11D or 17D for love nor money. (I'm not sure I've even got the correct answer for 11D as I find the surface utterly impenetrable.) Can anyone help?
13 of 48  -   Report This Post

jono

20th September 2020, 09:46
Hi Phil,
For 11d think of a 7 letter word for posterior, take away the first letter then switch the last three letters to the front.
I agree with you about 7d btw, nothing cryptic about it
14 of 48  -   Report This Post

jono

20th September 2020, 09:48
17d is a word for exits with the first letter replaced by an O. Think Shrek?
15 of 48  -   Report This Post

phil10000

20th September 2020, 09:56
Thanks Jono -- got it! Still awful surface on both 11D and especially 17D, though. (Got that one too, just after I'd posted.) As mentioned, I've found the last two puzzles strangely easy and agree with some of the comments from last week that were wondering whether there's a team of setters. That said, 8D (my fave this week) seems irrefutably the work of the regular setter. So maybe each puzzle has several contributors? Or could it be that an editor wades in if the original clue is too convoluted and pops in a simple one instead (7D???).
16 of 48  -   Report This Post

ianwil

20th September 2020, 10:08
Surely in 7d the definition is FRANK and the fodder Is the rest. Just a nice coincidence that Frank is Capra’s real first name.
17 of 48  -   Report This Post

ianwil

20th September 2020, 10:09
...by which I mean it IS a cryptic clue
18 of 48  -   Report This Post

rigatoni

20th September 2020, 10:10
Yes pretty straightforward but on the whole cleverly done. I do wonder whether it's harder to do clever easy than clever fiendish.

I always like clues where you don't know the word but just follow the instructions in the clue and hey presto! For me the dog and the author are good examples.

Good day one and all.
19 of 48  -   Report This Post

jono

20th September 2020, 10:10
Ian, thanks so much, I knew there had to be more to it!
20 of 48  -   Report This Post