CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

richardk

20th September 2020, 13:12
5d is a homophone of a word meaning roomier, better ventilated. I think “less humid” is a bit inaccurate as I don’t consider the opposite of the homophone to be “humid”. The actual answer (not the homophone) is a “space”...
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

mathi

20th September 2020, 13:13
See the previous comment by alohaned at 3.
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

julesvern

20th September 2020, 14:50
Hi all, this is my first post on here, though I've been turning to you all for help for a long time! So, many thanks for that. I'm baffled by 22a, my LOI. Assuming all the checkers are right, there is only one answer it can be, but I can't even see where in the clue the definition is, let alone parse it. As no-one else has mentioned this clue, I'm obviously being a bit dense!
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

fop

20th September 2020, 14:54
Tx Mathi and Richardk also Aohaned whose hint @ 3 didn't help me at the time. Took bit but then the DOH eventually slapped me on the forehead.
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

jafo

20th September 2020, 15:06
@julesvern, welcome. Unusual for nobody to have answered your query, typically I am too lazy to bother.

22a is straightforward enough so I wonder if you have something else wrong.

First 2 letters is the promo, next 6 is the bracket. Def is tolerable.
35 of 48  -   Report This Post

buddy

20th September 2020, 15:06
julesvern, I think "bracket" is "equate"; a bit loose IMO. Chambers gives "bracket" as "to group together" which is not quite the same as equate in my book.
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

jafo

20th September 2020, 15:14
Buddy I suppose in conversation you sometimes hear bracket used as to equate but it is not a great clue. One of several IMHO. For instance 9a, what is that all about. Why would they be in the good book? I doubt they even existed when it was written.
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

buddy

20th September 2020, 15:16
Didn't all the apostles nosh at the Last Supper? I think that's in the King Jimmy Version.
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

nickos20

20th September 2020, 16:25
Thanks ianwil. Double definition. Should have known Nun's Habit.
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

will4jan

20th September 2020, 17:53
Romans is one of the Apostle Paul's letters in the New Testament. Chapter 8 is probably the most beloved by Christians where Paul says from his experience of all kinds of trials that nothing can separate us from the love of God.
40 of 48  -   Report This Post