CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

zabadak

10th July 2020, 21:47
I had trouble identifying all the "extra" words: in cryptic clues there is sometimes ambiguity as to whether the word belongs or not. Spotting the "pertinent" words led to the statement and then to the source, and the resolution of ambiguities, which is probably the wrong way round, but hey ho! Fun and not too taxing.
11 of 81  -   Report This Post

loge

10th July 2020, 22:45
Great fun. I don't see the significance of the unnumbered clues either, except to make us work a bit harder to get the asterisked letters.
12 of 81  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

10th July 2020, 23:02
Agree, good fun. All clues (hopefully) parsed ok, grid filled, person identified, four words identified. But....still not happy that the removed words “extremely” identify the source. Might have the words wrong of course, but we did waste an hour solving the Riemann Hypothesis. Thank you Tringa.
13 of 81  -   Report This Post

drxx

10th July 2020, 23:44
I had no difficulty finding the source via the extras, simplesimon.

And I've found an anagram that might (just possibly) be a thematic phrase from the unclued lights - but nothing pops up.
Anyway, it's O?? N??? M??? T?? S?? C???? (using the shared 'A' just once).
14 of 81  -   Report This Post

dylan

11th July 2020, 06:24
Grid filled, apart from 8,9 dn (both swapped from elsewhere?) and 14ac.

I don't understand the wordplay for 26ac, 34ac and 23dn.

I can see two symmetrically placed words, with a vague link to the subject, but still looking for two more- are they all of the same kind?

15 of 81  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

11th July 2020, 06:54
Drxx, you oenophiles give us teetotal folk a bad name! Driving us to drink with all these booze infused crosswords! Bet Chalicea enjoyed it! Words right, looking at wrong extremes.
Doh!
16 of 81  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

11th July 2020, 07:44
Hi Dylan all 4 words are of the same type and are not vaguely associated with the theme. One is a rarer type but the others are fairly mainstream.
17 of 81  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th July 2020, 08:24
I have to say that I am baffled as to what to do here. I have a full grid, the source from the 12 extra words, but do not know the name from the 4 letters I have, nor the statement. I do have a poem written by the source, but do not see its relevance, other than its title. A nudge in any direction would be appreciated.
18 of 81  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th July 2020, 08:37
Now that i have the correct 4 letters, and therefore the name, I now have a different poem I also have a 14 word statement, so hopefully I am getting there!
19 of 81  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

11th July 2020, 09:26
The 14 word statement is a perfect synopsis of the puzzle.
We reverse-engineered it as we’d completed the grid and tried to get anagrams from the 12 letters at the wrong end. Then the PDM.
20 of 81  -   Report This Post