CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fieryjack

9th July 2020, 00:47
Congratulations Paulh
Cheers Mattrom for hosting and for making you're shortlist
31 of 40  -   Report This Post

paul

9th July 2020, 01:13
Well done Paul - very slee ur k!
I was wondering about the origin of your surname. Mine is not dissimilar.
Cheers Mattrom and shortlisting appreciated.
32 of 40  -   Report This Post

granama1

9th July 2020, 06:59
Congrats PaulH and thanks Mattrom. I'll have to sharpen those pencils a bit more for the next one!
33 of 40  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th July 2020, 07:53
Congrats PaulH and thanks mattrom - also for the mention.

The video wouldn't play for me either, and attempting it made my computer "hang" for a minute or two!
34 of 40  -   Report This Post

tyke51

9th July 2020, 09:53
Well done PaulH - thanks Mattrom!
35 of 40  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th July 2020, 11:36
I hope paulh will not mind if I say his name is probably Norman-French, derived from "haubergeon" and is strongly associated with Lancashire. It is one of the job-description names (like Fletcher and Thatcher), "haubergeon" being an article of chain mail, made in a village in Lancse with a similar name. It has a huge number of variations.
Anyone wishing me to have a look at their family history can mail me via Norah.
36 of 40  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

9th July 2020, 12:33
Hi Paul and Rosalind re my surname.
Spot on, Rosalind. Lots of variations and originating with Habergham (yes, connection with habergeon which I thought was a battle axe but may indeed be chain mail). Still a civil parish called Habersham Eaves in Burnley area so you are right about Lancashire.

Lots of Habershons around Sheffield - my late father born and brought up in Rotherham.

Highest profile Habershon was probably Commander Roy Habershon (not a close relation nor an acquaintance), a senior policeman who led the fight against the Angry Brigade, a 1970s terrorist group.
37 of 40  -   Report This Post

paul

9th July 2020, 14:52
@Ros - thanks for the research -amazing detail!
@Paul - thought it might have been a variant of the German-derived “-sohn” so what a fascinating history!
38 of 40  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th July 2020, 15:58
C'est mon metier, Paul. (sorry for lack of acute accent)
All family history fascinates me.
39 of 40  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

9th July 2020, 22:29
Very nice, paul - well done. Thank you to mattrom for hosting and the shortlisting.
40 of 40  -   Report This Post