CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

4th July 2020, 08:22
....which he could have avoided by using "Potential" instead of "Current".
11 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

4th July 2020, 08:34
Just seen that too Chris, oh dear that really is a schoolboy error!
12 of 42  -   Report This Post

longtimelurker

4th July 2020, 09:32
That was one of my first ones in, and I was wondering whether Chambers actually gives that definition for the first 4 letters? I don't have a Chambers, so I can't check. I do sometimes find that setters are more loose with scientific terms than I am happy with as a scientist.
13 of 42  -   Report This Post

minty

4th July 2020, 09:41
We could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he means 'present day' ?

I managed to finish today's and I don't nomrmally with Paul, this didn't feel very Paul-like to me.

I've got an obvious answer for 18A that fits the crossers, but can't work out the workplay - can some drop a hint?

Thanks
14 of 42  -   Report This Post

simonh

4th July 2020, 09:43
For 18A it’s an anagram
15 of 42  -   Report This Post

minty

4th July 2020, 12:54
Thanks simonh. In that case I had the wrong answer, my 2nd letter was incorrect

minty
16 of 42  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

4th July 2020, 14:07
Hello all, it normally takes me all day to get through a crossword with lots of breaks for my brain to recover. And I find Paul really difficult. But almost there today, much helped by the earlier ref to lots of long anagrams and a bit of googling to confirm 5a exists!. Completely stuck on 8d and 12/21a (unless a hip hop label). Any clues appreciated. And can't parse 19d (assuming I've got it right) or 11a. Thanks, and - as a newbie - thanks all for such a friendly and helpful forum.
17 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

4th July 2020, 14:17
Hi Lucy,
So, 8d is a reversal. 21/12 is a cryptic double definition, think where that place name is and how you might describe somewhere going there. 19a is a creature and a ccy both backwards. 11a is a construction of one letter for English, a term for newspaper which Paul has used many times (often in conjunction with pink, but not this time) inside a 4 letter word for revolt
18 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

4th July 2020, 14:18
*someone going there, that was meant to say
19 of 42  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th July 2020, 14:22
8d: look at things backward, definition "tart up".
12/21: hinges on a common crossword synonym for guy (verb).
19d: backwards (uprising in wordplay), common crossword monster + a fairly obscure European currency.
11: (E for English + synonym for newspaper) inside synonym for revolt.

Funny, I noticed the apparent gaffe in 10a, but I'm forgiving about technical details and don't generally expect setters to be accurate.
20 of 42  -   Report This Post