CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

4th July 2020, 14:25
Ignore my commentary on 21/12. Geeked has it spot on
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

4th July 2020, 15:11
Thanks jono and geeker, I didn't know that meaning of guy, that's really useful to know, got 8d - can't see how I missed it now - and 11a crystal. Still unsure about 19d and think I might have it wrong. Is it also a name of a breed of animal??
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

iansw

4th July 2020, 15:16
No it's a sticky answer
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

4th July 2020, 15:53
Took some googling but I got there! And corrected 26a to a much more pleasing answer. Thanks all
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

roof

4th July 2020, 19:44
Hi everyone

Well I've been at it for over two hours and have solved very few clues, mainly in the bottom right. I can't see many anagrams - where is the anagram in 18ac? I don't understand 21,12. Where is Tianjin? My first one in was 23d, which remains my favourite to date.

So I need a few hints. I've read and read again those in the thread, but haven't found them very helpful. Is my answer for 2d Israelite judge, criminal doing time, finally (6) right ? I think not. I have G?D?O?

What about 14ac People screened by doctor, capricious character - prepare for impact! (5,7) I have ???c? ??E???t. I assume the definition is prepare for impact. The small letters represent those I am not sure of.

And 7,28 - what's that all about. I think I have the second word, but not the first.

Help please.
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

4th July 2020, 20:07
So on the call with Paul tonight he admitted the volt/current thing is a mistake. He said his physics teacher got in touch with him this morning! He got a 2nd in maths!
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

4th July 2020, 20:58
Hi Roof,
I’ll do my best.
18a the anagram indicator is ‘originally’ and you need to include the leader (first letter) of opposition.
21/12 is a verb meaning guy and the first letter of Tianjin. Defn is something which might be made of China
2d your letters are correct. Biblical figure
14a your letters are correct apart from the T. You are correct re the definition
7,28 a word for ‘beginning’ containing an anagram (flying) of other words from the clue. Definition is a place near London you might fly from.
Hope that helps!
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

roof

4th July 2020, 23:52
Many thanks Jono

Usually I'm more in tune with Paul, but not today. I've had a break watching the young Montlebano and am now back in the fray.
I'd got the right anagram for 18ac, I just couldn't find it on my anagram solver. I've got it now .I'm glad 2d is right. I'd got 8d wrong. I now have a u at the end of the second word, but can't find a word to fit, so maybe I've still got 8d wrong.

I've now got the right place to fly from for 7.28. I still haven't got 21,12 but think I must have 8d wrong so I have an inkling. I have ???C? ??E?E?? for 14ac without the u.

I shall continue to work at it for a bit. But I may need to go to bed. I have most of the right hand side filled in, but have a way to go still.

Once agin many thanks for your help.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

roof

5th July 2020, 00:12
I've got 21,12 now. I can't think why I didn't get it sooner.

But must go to bed,
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

rossim

5th July 2020, 11:07
Roof Your letters are correct for 14a. Think aircrash.
30 of 42  -   Report This Post