CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

25th June 2020, 17:42
The tide of antipathy runs strongest when the cardinal rule - 'do not comment on live puzzles' - is broken. That's the real issue, but I'm beginning to think politics might be a secondary factor (I've been criticised for breaking the first rule, but I have no personal experience of any left-wing bias).

It's their site, their rules - I have no issue with that at all.
81 of 123  -   Report This Post

spoffy

25th June 2020, 20:02
Can I echo Ifor's remark re comments on 15squared (a few subsequent observations by others notwithstanding - in any event, if every EV solver were to comment there on future puzzles that would be, well, weird).

The 15squared blog provides a shared view of clues, solutions (with explanations) and completed grid, along with a record of one person's solving experience, against which solvers can make comments that require no additional context to be established.

Without that backdrop, a comment, say, to the effect that "the definition in 17dn was weak" or "the cell two down from the top and three in surely needs to be shaded" is simply confusing if the person making the comment has misinterpreted the clue or the endgame.

But to say more (eg "the misprinted definition 'Kipper' in 17dn was weak" or "the cell containing an asterisk surely needs shading") on a general help thread in relation to a crossword that's probably only been available for a few hours risks giving the game away for solvers who haven't yet even reached that point in the puzzle. It also worries the hell out of others who've (quite correctly) used the definition 'Dipper' and put an 'A' in that special cell.

Also, because the closing date for entries has passed when the blog is published, the setter can freely comment (and respond to comments) without running the risk of delivering a 'spoiler' or alienating their editor.

Not only does a puzzle that generates plenty of comment on blog sites look like a healthy puzzle, but as a setter (and I suspect that I am not the only one who feels this way) I put time into producing puzzles largely in the hope of providing entertainment, and solvers' feedback is my only way of knowing if I've managed it - or not. Oh, and often the most painful comments are also the most useful (not infrequently prompting the response: "Ouch! I won't do that ever again...").
82 of 123  -   Report This Post

drxx

25th June 2020, 20:27
Then let me ask the question once more, Spoffy - in the hope of some kind of respose (I asked Ifor the same question, and so did Brendan).
Why are you not asking the good people on 15squared to do the same?
83 of 123  -   Report This Post

spoffy

25th June 2020, 21:37
But how would I distinguish between them and the others?

Only joking, It's done.
84 of 123  -   Report This Post

drxx

25th June 2020, 22:08
Now we need just ten good people (five on either side?) to heed it.
85 of 123  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

26th June 2020, 06:45
I am quite willing to try to contribute to the fifteensquared blog but my crossword skills are strictly National League compared to the Premier League players on this site. What I would say to you Spoffy and Ifor - and any other EV compiler who may read this thread - is that I am extremely grateful for the many hours of entertainment, head scratching and self-cursing which you have provided and continue to provide. Your efforts are really appreciated. The first EV I attempted was in the 300s and involved entering Australia upside down under the grid. I am that stage of life where I do things for enjoyment and I thoroughly enjoy EV each week.
86 of 123  -   Report This Post

ruthrobin

26th June 2020, 07:13
Thank you from Chalicea to all who have expressed themselves so forcefully here and on the other sites and in emails. Especial thanks to Always Puzzled for starting the thread and to all the friends who have joined in. I hope we can manage to keep an active thread on Fifteen Squared, as John Henderson does for the IQ, so that it is clear that we do solve the EV (and many of us buy the Telegraph for that reason). That will help our cause.
87 of 123  -   Report This Post

spoffy

26th June 2020, 11:13
I've already rattled on more than enough on this thread, but I will say to alwayspuzzled that as a (very much lower league) setter it's comments from the core solvers of a particular puzzle that I particularly value, as it's those solvers who can tell me whether an offering has delivered the entertainment I hoped it would provide, and if not, why not.

If my puzzle was too easy for the liking of a super-solver, or my clues were too tough for someone who's never done a barred puzzle before, so be it. But if several regular solvers remark that a step in the endgame required extensive grid-staring, then that step was poorly designed or signposted; if they think the puzzle's instructions were ambiguous, then the preamble should have been clearer; if they had no idea whether their solution was correct, then the puzzle was badly flawed; oh, and if they thought the puzzle was brilliant, then it was brilliant!
88 of 123  -   Report This Post

ginge

26th June 2020, 12:52
Perhaps more comments would appear on 15² if more setters provided a blog about the conception of the puzzle similar to phi ?
Even if it was a "template" email, I thought it was a nice touch to receive an individual reply from Chris at the Telegraph.
89 of 123  -   Report This Post

ifor

26th June 2020, 13:04
drxx (and Brendan) - As you know, 15^2 provides an opportunity for EV solvers, successful or otherwise, to reflect on their experience after a deadline has passed. Posters here either ask or answer specific queries about a live puzzle, usually taking care not to provide spoilers. To my mind these are mutually exclusive, and each fulfils a need. All I've said is that posting on the former site would help to reinforce the interest in the EV series demonstrated by the level of participation being shown here; something I've already advocated on 15^2 threads and in private correspondence and conversation with solvers.

90 of 123  -   Report This Post