CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th June 2020, 00:51
This week's offering is a themed, or partially at least, crossword by Paul.

I'm useless at gauging difficulty, so all I'll say is that it really does help and make a difference once you figure out the themed answers.

There's the usual array of clue devices but I think there might be a couple more first or last letters than usual.

My COD is 17a for it's smooth surface and clever definition.

Thanks to Paul.
1 of 44  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th June 2020, 01:23
Hi Brendan,
My COD (loosely) is the linked 3 / (19a, 24a). Agreed that deciphering the theme is important, that aspect was particularly enjoyable.
Today's crossword was somewhat of a blast from the past. For many years I seemed to connect with Paul's wavelength and generally solved his puzzles quickly, but over the past year I've struggled and found him much more difficult. Surprisingly, this was practically a write-in, even though I have little concrete knowledge relating to the theme.
2 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th June 2020, 01:30
Hi Geeker,

I'm sure you remember we had Paul's very first Guardian crossword a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. Other than that I'm not really familiar with his style, although he does seem popular. I think whether or not one finds this difficult or not is going to depend a great deal on how quickly one finds the theme and their answers:-)
3 of 44  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th June 2020, 01:42
Yes, the repeat of Paul's first puzzle was great fun! I can't really describe styles, but one of his main trademarks seems to be missing today (sorry to be vague, I fear spoilers).
4 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

6th June 2020, 06:04
Today is the D Day!
5 of 44  -   Report This Post

bigmacsub

6th June 2020, 08:01
Assuming I've got 26ac correct from a limited field with the crossers, I can't parse it at all, apart from the last letter!?

Otherwise all went in well with some Google assistance to confirm suspicions.
6 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th June 2020, 08:26
I found this rather joyless, with the theme rather thinly done. I've not parsed several, including the crucial 28a. I thought 13a and 15d were a bit weak.
7 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

6th June 2020, 08:26
26a: read the first letters backwards. The definition is explosions sounding intolerable.
8 of 44  -   Report This Post

mathi

6th June 2020, 08:38
All five D Day 28a names are used in the puzzle.
9 of 44  -   Report This Post

bigmacsub

6th June 2020, 08:41
Re: 26ac - thanks Mathi, although I have to say it's disappointing, there are enough of those clues already.
10 of 44  -   Report This Post