CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

uncle_w

6th February 2020, 10:22
Thanks prospero for your help. I think the debate about 2/10 will go on ad infinitum. I have opted for 'bias' and 'lars' but with no real conviction. I made the decision based on the fact that the bias on a bowl helps the bowler to get to the jack. A cricketer on the other hand takes a good line but it is not necessarily a help, if that makes any sense.
61 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 10:36
absolutely agree with you, pendragon - this has been unsatifying all along ... yes, like block in 27, there is almost a definition in the clue - which makes one doubt it at first. I've agonised enough over 2 and will go with bowling - we can all be wrong together. I still like pins, but helpS suggests a singular word.
62 of 85  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th February 2020, 10:53
I have submitted mine now, but will continue to monitor this site for information on the controversies.

As an aside, I had problems with 6D as I was convinced that Wilde's cooler was Lady Windermere's fan!

Oh dear ...
63 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 12:01
a subtle mistake and one easy to make - especially if, like me, you've never heard of the solution ...
64 of 85  -   Report This Post

aspria

6th February 2020, 13:14
Definitely the B and S now for 10/2.
Going through this I'm still not sure about 27 across - in particular the second letter - is it a plant minus es? I had a bird as my first entry but can't remember why now ! The l variety would make the first word of the clue a definition.
65 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 15:15
27 - block is (I imagine coincidentally) a definition, as I've said (I think twice) before - sorry to bore ... it's another word for block + the start of triathlon minus two-letter direction
66 of 85  -   Report This Post

vesalius

6th February 2020, 15:40
I am opting for PINS at 2d. It is an anagram of 'spin" and also is the target in a certain type of bowling. BIAS is possible but it would not be a cryptic solution. I'm left with one last entry, 26a (G-E-D). Any Hints?
67 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 16:25
26 - usual crossword synonym for dope + usual word for journalist around short word for "on the subject of", deduct two letters
68 of 85  -   Report This Post

vesalius

6th February 2020, 17:19
Ah, that kind of dope. Thanks prosper
69 of 85  -   Report This Post

nikki

6th February 2020, 17:54
I have my completed grid, but keep checking back here for a definitive answer for 10/2. This month's puzzle requires a mind-reader, not a genius. So unsatisfying. A lottery prize to successful entrants.
70 of 85  -   Report This Post