CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

5th February 2020, 20:16
Garble,
'retire' is a reversal indicator for 'gave what is necessary' (to survive)...+ 'at home' + 'fit'
51 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

5th February 2020, 20:55
so, mattrom, have you made a decision about 2/10?
52 of 85  -   Report This Post

mattrom

5th February 2020, 21:19
Umm...I'm still fence sitting, Prospero.
The ? could indicate that it is a cryptic definition, but in that case I would expect another interpretation of 'bowlers' than the obvious one.
53 of 85  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

5th February 2020, 23:47
Can anyone give me a hint as to 26d as I attempt to finish this uninspiring crossword. By the way my 8a which I'm fairly confident is right is not in my Chambers but appears in Onelook. Cheers all.
54 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 00:09
uncle_w - 26d: word for about (going up) inside abbr for genetically modified - definition root.
55 of 85  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th February 2020, 09:44
I have only the top right-hand corner to do now. I think …

Can anybody give me hints for 9A and 5D please?

And I cannot parse the only real answer I have for 15A.

I then have to address the horizontals I am not completely happy with …

Is 25A celestial?
56 of 85  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th February 2020, 09:53
I think I have 5D now, if the dogs are pet names, not breeds.
57 of 85  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th February 2020, 09:57
How to finish the Genius ... post a query on here and suddenly the answer will be obvious (i.e., 9A).

I'm still worried about 15A and 25A though.
58 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th February 2020, 10:02
pendragon - 9: anag of even, then usual abbr for queen and son, lose 2 letters
5: something that involves six and can mean dogs without outside letters - just seen your next post - yes ...
15: slang (criminal) synonym for pipe outside synonym for school (verb); drop the first letter
25: similar usage - yes, celestial
what's your take on 2/10?

59 of 85  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th February 2020, 10:16
Thanks, Prospero.

I’m a little confused about 15A. I don’t think pipe’s synonym has to be criminal, but does the word for school actually form the gerund answer too?

2D. I’m not the person to ask about this, as I play pétanque, not bowls!

But I was swayed by the idea of the technical B-word , although it does seem that the clue is general knowledge, not cryptic. If 2D ends in E, then the across words are a little obscure (not that obscurity seems to worry Kite).

I always feel that a good cryptic crossword should be one that may be difficult but, when one has arrived at the answer, one should know it’s correct.

Alas …
60 of 85  -   Report This Post