CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

3rd February 2020, 19:22
Prospero. 24a. is a word for 'tug' + abb for navy + a word for 'to move', reversed.
11 of 85  -   Report This Post

mattrom

3rd February 2020, 19:30
re 2d. The synonym for legs is also what some bowlers aim at, but it still doesn't seem definitive. I was fixed on 'bowlers' being hats, but probably trying to be too clever.
12 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd February 2020, 19:37
thank you, mattrom - i was certain that was the word but always thought the abbreviation for navy was two letters so I couldn't make it fit. Yes, that's what I was suggesting as a double-entente for 2d - but like a number of other solutions it's not very satisfactory. I am left with a partly-solved feeling about this crossword - having said which I'll probably win the prize on my 200th attempt ....
13 of 85  -   Report This Post

mattrom

3rd February 2020, 19:53
I've never submitted solutions, but as a matter of interest, is there an advantage in putting an entry in early? Is it 'first correct entry wins'?
I initially thought that the across answers would follow the theme, but I guess that would be a bit limited in this case.
14 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd February 2020, 22:43
No, it's nothing to do with the first one in - the monthly email from Hugh (which either has stopped or I've been unsubscribed from) used to quote the earliest entries - I was once earliest ... don't know how they choose the winner but I guess they must have some sophisticated lottery system.
Yes, I thought this was a bit lazy in that there was no attempt to link the across clues and therefore no real way of backing up your guesses ...
15 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd February 2020, 23:50
Also, I think eight of the across original words are pretty far-fetched - and the first word of 27 virtually doubles as a definition.
16 of 85  -   Report This Post

mattrom

4th February 2020, 00:03
Good luck with this month's entry.
Is the grid entry to 29a. a man's name? I can't find any other dictionary reference.
17 of 85  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

4th February 2020, 07:46
Mattrom @ 12, I took 2d to be a cricket reference, with the answer being one of the two qualities of a good delivery.
18 of 85  -   Report This Post

aspria

4th February 2020, 08:37
Trying to enjoy this but failing.
I love cricket but am not sure what Jack means by the "two qualities of a good delivery" - line, length...?
If 2d is ?i?s the legs option is at least viable
I also have a man's name (connected with railways) at 29
the original word at 24 ac isn't in Chambers (if i have it right?) - meaning in the direction of an urban settlement
19 of 85  -   Report This Post

prospero

4th February 2020, 09:25
I have the legs option (faute de mieux) and I believe your answers to 24 and 29 are right - though since there are no definitions or connections it's hard to be sure - and I've said above that one seems to be putting Home Counties in and taking them out immediately ... all in all far from secure - and I haven't submitted in case anyone comes up with a brainwave ....
20 of 85  -   Report This Post