CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

19th January 2020, 07:02
Quiz, how about S for 'station shortly' and 'ot' as 'to return', ie reverse 'to'?
31 of 57  -   Report This Post

quisling

19th January 2020, 10:27
Re 35a, I couldn’t find S or ST in the BRB, so I thought M + STO(P) reversed, as a word for station
32 of 57  -   Report This Post

quiz

19th January 2020, 11:52
Thank you both - I think it’s just a bit ambiguous then. Doesn’t really matter, as it’s clearly the answer; I just hate not being 100% sure of the passing of every clue!
33 of 57  -   Report This Post

wigwam

19th January 2020, 16:59
I have possibly been staring at this for too long for one session, but I'm at a stage where I have all across answers resolved fine but can't figure out 27d and can't parse 33d, so I don't know what I'm truly staring for.

I have the Bros (and when they were famous!), but can't for the life of me figure out what the last two down letters are or what I'm meant to be looking for.

I should probably resume this tomorrow evening but at this point I'm invested (and frustrated).

Any pointers appreciated etc...
34 of 57  -   Report This Post

granama1

19th January 2020, 17:31
Wigwam, 27d relates to a martial figure (god of war perhaps) wrapped around an abbreviation for Estonia) making an old word for goes off with a spare letter from the martial figure. 33d is an old word for obstacle (often twinned with hindrance) reversed and inside a shortened view...making a standing stone.
35 of 57  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

19th January 2020, 17:36
And I have the thematic item that must be entered in the grid, but not a clue where to shove it!
36 of 57  -   Report This Post

wigwam

19th January 2020, 17:44
Probably should have figured out the "martial figure" reference before, but thank you for that.

For 33d it turns out I'd flubbed 37a and it was completely ruining me, as the word I had came up for "upright" and I couldn't make sense of it.

I now have 11 letters that don't seem to make a lot of sense right now, I think my pause until tomorrow is calling despite wanting to get over the finish line. Brain is fried!

Thank you very much for the assistance, one step closer etc etc.
37 of 57  -   Report This Post

planks

19th January 2020, 17:49
bobbycollins - look diagonally
38 of 57  -   Report This Post

wigwam

19th January 2020, 17:49
I should note, I'm aware of the work being referenced by the missing words but with the brain drain of the weekend I'm missing the last step of twigging what to do!
39 of 57  -   Report This Post

wigwam

19th January 2020, 17:52
..and Planks gets me there. I was stuck on one of the missing words being not like the others, but as always, it was a little simpler than that and had to be slapped in the face with it to see it.

Nice journey this week, quite fun. Thanks to all!
40 of 57  -   Report This Post