CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wintonian

22nd December 2019, 12:46
Hi, freddycat,

You have the right place for 47dn. First three letters are a synonym for grandma, followed by an anagram of with including C for canine.

64ac is a large town in West Yorkshire. The parsing is the usual abbreviation for hot, followed by something that cows have to contain milk, followed by a five-letter word one of whose meanings is background.
21 of 33  -   Report This Post

freddycat

22nd December 2019, 12:57
Many thanks Wintonian,

All is clear. Best wishes
22 of 33  -   Report This Post

barretter

22nd December 2019, 12:59
In 64ac the milk containerrs are bovine.
23 of 33  -   Report This Post

rocketman

22nd December 2019, 13:07
I'd like to be different to a lot of comments I read, and as a keen traveller,
would like to say how much I enjoyed this tremendous puzzle. I learnt a lot about places I knew little about, such as Skye and its surroundings, and would like to congratulate Maskarade for managing to compile a puzzle that would have been far more challenging to him or her, than to all of us who have solved it!
24 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd December 2019, 13:15
I do agree that the grid-filling was exceptional, but unfortunately that alone doesn't make it a satisfactory puzzle, especially for a holiday "special".
25 of 33  -   Report This Post

williamseal

22nd December 2019, 13:17
Thanks to all those who helped me with this puzzle.
I had a misplaced letter in 40 across so 32 down is now clear.
The answer on 65 across is also now clear but, given the obscurity, I wish Maskarade had indicated 'near the M6' or something similar.

The last one that is puzzling me is 21 down. 'Artificial fishing flies recently stolen' (9)

Is the answer a place in Cumbria beginning with U? If so can anyone help me parse it?

Again my thanks to the (long list) of those willing to assist.
26 of 33  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd December 2019, 13:20
Williamseal, the place in 21 doesn't begin with U and isn't in Cumbria - it's further south.
27 of 33  -   Report This Post

williamseal

22nd December 2019, 13:23
Thanks Malone - any chance of a nudge? I just can't get a handle on this one

28 of 33  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd December 2019, 13:27
Rocketman (I think it was) gave 'Trees' as a clue for the first part of the answer, the last three letters are 'recently stolen' (think dodgy jewellery for sale, say).
29 of 33  -   Report This Post

williamseal

22nd December 2019, 13:32
Thanks - all done now
30 of 33  -   Report This Post