CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chips

21st December 2019, 18:45
IanSW, glad I could help.
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

ohcelt

22nd December 2019, 01:06
Amen. Little more than a tedious general knowledge test. Really hard on ex-pats and overseas solvers. I see no point in it.
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

simond9x

22nd December 2019, 09:28
I agree. I baled out after doing maybe a third. Long gone are the days of the wonderful Araucaria holiday puzzles.
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd December 2019, 09:30
I did finish it, in fact (a couple not parsed), but it felt far more like work than fun. It didn't help that a lot of the clues were very easy, though Google did help with a few, including LOI 61a (one of the unparsed ones).
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

cymro

22nd December 2019, 09:36
Chrise, for 61A think bank note.
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd December 2019, 09:39
Thanks cymro.
"One's missing" is a bit loose for what needs to be done!
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

williamseal

22nd December 2019, 12:25
I haven't finished and would like to move on to AZED
Could someone help me with 65 across?
Meal cut short by sound of loud bark (5). I have xExAx
If the meal is tea then teyap would work but I can't find such a place!

Also can anyone help me parse two clues (or help if I am wrong).
for 23 down I have well-known place in the Lake District beginning with U
for 32 down I have Trenale. It is the only Cornish hamlet I could find that fitted but I cannot parse at all.

Sorry to give the last one away but it is a frustrating puzzle.

My best wishes to all who have assisted me during the year.

17 of 33  -   Report This Post

cymro

22nd December 2019, 12:28
Re 65A, name of motorway services in the Lake District presumably also name of local hamlet?
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

freddycat

22nd December 2019, 12:35
Hi Williamseal

For 65 across your surmise about the first two letters is correct - for the three remaining think of an alternative word for barking or howling (or alternatively a type of window).

By the way I'm stuck on the bottom left - 47 down (Grandma with new canine indoors) - possibly a town in Cheshire but I can't see how. Also 64ac - Background with hot milk containersw in front - any help much appreciated
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

wintonian

22nd December 2019, 12:40
Hi williamseal,

Do you mean 51ac for the place in the Lake District? It’s birds often found at the seaside, without the first letter, followed by a three letter word meaning “fighting”, which contains the first and last letters of “the”.

I think you have entered 40ac incorrectly, as the letter it shares with 32dn is an O, not an A. For 32dn, you need a six letter word that can mean a minor shake of the earth, followed by the standard abbreviation for east.

I agree with general comments that this wasn’t a particularly good puzzle. Sadly, today’s Azed isn’t very tough either.
20 of 33  -   Report This Post