CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tomthom

3rd November 2019, 20:00
Thanks, Brendan!
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

richardk

3rd November 2019, 21:54
Hi Brendan, sorry for delayed reply. I don’t think I saw that episode of dtdd but I used to watch it from time to time.

I’m fairly new to the forum myself and it’s great to see more newbies for Everyman chat. Welcome.
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

phil10000

3rd November 2019, 22:37
Really late to the forum this week so hopefully won't cause any annoyance, but SPOILER ALERT anyway. I'm interested to see that no one else has a problem with 5A, so I guess I'm missing something really obvious. That said, I don't understand how the clue tells us to insert t in the middle of moors. Moors only makes sense as part of the solution if the part of the clue that generates it is 'STOPS boat moving'. Consequently 'stops' can't also be used to signify the insertion of t in anything. What the clue's syntax actually tells us to do (with the signifier 'around') is insert t in a synonym for 'moves quickly', with the definition being 'stops boat moving', but of course that does not generate an answer. Any pointers to why the setter's right and I'm wrong gratefully received.
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

graham123

3rd November 2019, 23:10
Phil10000 I think “top boat moving” is moors and bu(t) finally is t, making solution motors
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd November 2019, 23:14
@Phil...Re 5a:
The clue DOESN'T tell us to INSERT "t" in the middle of "moors"...it tells us to put "moors" AROUND "t", the final letter of "but".
moves quickly = motors (def)
moors - stops boat moving
t - final letter of "but"
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th November 2019, 01:16
Thanks Richard, it was great to hear from you and hope it's on a regular basis.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

waggers

4th November 2019, 12:03
VERY late to this - prob no one will read! (I’m overseas at mo and not much WiFi). Love all the comments and needed a few to help me esp. 17d and 23a. In answer to quocunque re. Aerobics and STEP - anyone who frequents the dreaded gym will know about step classes - an aerobics class where you use a ‘step’ (plastic block) as part of the exercise - stepping on and off it - so I think that’s what the reference is to (apologies if someone else has already made that point).
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

cerasus

4th November 2019, 12:18
Thanks for the info. Waggers
48 of 48  -   Report This Post