CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

coffindodger

3rd November 2019, 16:57
Quite an entertaining and enjoyable puzzle except.......

I have found (I think ) 14a from the definition but figure out how the parsing works.
Also at a complete loss with 23a. Although I have all the crossers and can think of only 2 anwers to fit, neither of which seem parsable to me.
Can anyone give me some hints ?
21 of 48  -   Report This Post

cerasus

3rd November 2019, 17:06
14a dog with 0 (ball) reversed + synonym for 'indulged' (pandered to)
23a Codeword for B in radio communication = expressing approval
22 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd November 2019, 17:08
Hi Coffindodger,

14a Definition = Happy

First word is an anag. of 'Dog' + 1 letter indicating Ball' reversed/rolling

Second word = Synonym of 'Getting indulged'

23a Double definition

One is a phrase spoken to show appreciation at the end of a performance, opera for example.
23 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd November 2019, 17:19
Apologies Coffindodger, not a 'phrase', I meant a 'word'.
24 of 48  -   Report This Post

coffindodger

3rd November 2019, 18:33
Thanks Cerasus and Brendan.
The letter B expressing approval is a new one to me.
25 of 48  -   Report This Post

cerasus

3rd November 2019, 18:37
Perhaps I didn't make my answer clear. The whole word expresses approval (I like it) , not the letter B on its own
26 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd November 2019, 18:40
No Coffindodger, the letter B represents, as Cerasus said, the initial letter of the 5 letter word used as a radio call sign. The whole word (beginning with B) is what's often shouted to show approval at the end of theatrical performances.
27 of 48  -   Report This Post

elle

3rd November 2019, 18:40
"B" is for "Bravo" in the English phonetic alphabet.
28 of 48  -   Report This Post

richardk

3rd November 2019, 18:51
Enjoyable today despite a complete brain freeze on several.

Couldn’t agree more with 23a. I too felt “mustn’t” is an order whereas the answer is something which is optional. Same ballpark, definitely, but synonymous? I’m not sure.

I note this setter is happy to use apostrophe phrases and in general I quite like them (“ps and qs” the other week was also fun).

4d was brilliant and reminded me of one of my favourite cryptic clues... geg? (9,3) ... albeit that’s more of a breakfast item than a sweet.

29 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd November 2019, 18:58
Richard, regarding the "geg" clue, did you ever see the scene involving it in the comedy series "Drop the Dead Donkey". It was on from 1990 - 1998 so you'll need to have a good memory (and be 'of a certain age'), but it was absolutely hilarious.
30 of 48  -   Report This Post