CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

casanova

11th September 2019, 17:17
Thank you, Malone
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

malone

11th September 2019, 18:06
Glad I could help.
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

crimbo

11th September 2019, 21:58
Thanks to everyone's helpful hints I've managed to complete it. But I'm puzzled as to the relevance of the title. What's the connection?
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

12th September 2019, 06:30
I have almost finished but I am really struggling with the last part of the pre-amble. 'To complete the picture the cells contained within the outline must also be shaded'. The outline could be the first and last columns- in which case everything would be shaded - or the shaded parts in the middle of the grid. A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th September 2019, 09:56
Hi alwayspuzzled, the first and last columns are the thematic examples referred to in the preamble and there is no mention of them being shaded.
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

rad

12th September 2019, 10:06
I agree with Ginge - those columns are clearly not intended to be shaded. When I had shaded all the cells specified, I had two single cells unshaded near the bottom, and I could see why the setter would want us to shade them, but I also had two unshaded regions which I thought would be better left unshaded. The picture was more attractive that way. However, the instruction said to shade them, so I did. The result is OK but not quite so nice.
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

12th September 2019, 13:22
Thank you for that Ginge and Rad. Foolishly I was getting my thematic examples and features mixed up. I agree with you Rad about it looking more pleasing if the gaps are left unshaded.
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

williamseal

12th September 2019, 18:20
This was a bit of a grind I thought - partly because some clues were tough. However I have completed the grid and worked out the theme. Could anyone help me parse two clues?:
9 across Red types of deer picked up (5)
17 across Intrigued by string found in late presenters guts (4)
The definition is the first word in each case but I cannot see how the the wordplay fits.

Thanks for any help
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th September 2019, 18:29
Hi williamseal,
9a sounds like (roe + doe)
17a W)into(n [Dale], string here being a string of letters.
39 of 45  -   Report This Post

casanova

12th September 2019, 19:00
Still struggling with this puzzle.
I can’t parse 12d or 32a. Also, at present, I cannot see three other clues answers that can be associated with the theme. Any help would be very welcome.
40 of 45  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1399