CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

1st September 2019, 03:01
I know these things are very subjective and I've been out of step before when trying to assess the difficulty of puzzles, and in the past have thought a particular puzzle was difficult, only for the vast majority of solvers to comment how easy they found it.

That said, I thought this really was a very difficult Everyman. The most difficult for a long time,

20d. caused most problems, not being familiar with that version of the Bible, but, once I got the crossers, the definition was clear and then it was just a matter of trial and error.

Also, 11a caused some problems, even when the answer became clear. I parsed the last 2 letters fairly quickly but can only get the first three to work if used as an acronym, and not even a familiar one - at least not one I've come across.

I'll be very interested to hear the thoughts of others, so please feel free to leave your comments. Is it just me or is it the most difficult for a while?
1 of 44  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st September 2019, 03:52
I've just checked in Chambers (which I as always forget), and the acronym referred to in 11a is there, so fair enough.
2 of 44  -   Report This Post

mamya

1st September 2019, 07:45
You're so right, it is subjective - suffering from 11 and experiencing 20 for many years I found those two simple.

A decent puzzle with some challenge, a good starter to the day.
3 of 44  -   Report This Post

richardk

1st September 2019, 08:16
Brendan I concur. Toughest Everyman for a while.
4 of 44  -   Report This Post

smot

1st September 2019, 08:51
Curiously I've found this one fairly easy going (so far.... about 4 left to finish....)

And 19a made me laugh - best clue for ages!

5 of 44  -   Report This Post

bigmacsub

1st September 2019, 09:00
Is the second letter of 24 C?
6 of 44  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2019, 09:25
bigmacsub - Yes
7 of 44  -   Report This Post

bigmacsub

1st September 2019, 09:28
Thanks jazzgirl, in which case I don't get it, assuming I have it right from a very limited field
8 of 44  -   Report This Post

phil10000

1st September 2019, 09:30
Certainly trickier than the last few weeks, and it took me ages to parse 11A, too (a bit of help in the clue that we were looking for an abbreviation would have been nice). Still, the one that caused me most trouble was 5D. If I've parsed it correctly, the 'organ' part of the clue is tenuous, at best. Or maybe I'm misreading it? Any pointers?
9 of 44  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2019, 09:32
The def. is competitive. 6 letters for the clergyman
10 of 44  -   Report This Post