CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

11th August 2019, 18:11
Should be with you now.
11 of 32  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th August 2019, 21:15
kirky - My solution isn't ideal but, as you haven't had a better offer, I'll put it forward -

I've got a coded answer (from an across entry) that could replace 1dn making three new 'words' running across.
The first of these appears to be a foreign name (and I'm not happy with it) the second is a genus of shellfish (not in Chambers) the third entry stays the same, and the fourth begins with K (and is in Chambers).

Hopefully, someone will come up with a better idea.
12 of 32  -   Report This Post

ginge

11th August 2019, 21:27
Hi drxx, the normal entry doesn't replace 1d; "... but wrongly placed for the theme; however it might have been considered suitable as an entry for 1d". The reference to 1d confirms the movement required from the "thematic partner" to the "wrongly positioned" normal grid entry.
13 of 32  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th August 2019, 21:44
Sorry ginge, I'm not getting it - could you be more overt?

I was taking the theme to be little more than down-shifting 6 answers, so was looking for something a bit meatier in the endgame - I've obviously missed something.
14 of 32  -   Report This Post

ginge

11th August 2019, 21:53
Hi again drxx, I think you may be overthinking and expecting a more complex endgame. Similar to the 6 unclueds representing modified answers (the displacement equivalent to the clue number) then the relevant normal entry should, for consistency, appear in 1d as it's also a modified answer (there would be different crossing entries).
15 of 32  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th August 2019, 22:01
Thanks ginge - you're right, I was expecing more (and it was tantalisingly close to just what I was looking for).

I'm glad there's nothing else to find - I didn't fancy taking the tippex to my highlighting!
16 of 32  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th August 2019, 22:50
I wonder if Dysart ever considered a slightly different endgame where the third cell in the top row had to include a second letter?
17 of 32  -   Report This Post

kirky

12th August 2019, 00:00
Thank you ginge and drxx
18 of 32  -   Report This Post

turast

12th August 2019, 19:39
I think I've completed, and I came to this thread to make sure I'd been on the right track. I found it a bit confusing.

With apologies to those who might think I'm giving too much away, can you folks confirm the following

1) Using a 26 21 confirms the eventual entries at 1,4,10, 30,31,33, with the clue numbers providing the differences between the solved answers and the entries.
2) The 6Dn & 20 DN entries work out as a thematic pair when you operate as 1) above both ways (+ & -). 6Dn is NOT LAMOUR!
3) The normal entry must be 5 letters and spell out a recognisable partner word when the encoding for 1Dn is used.(+ or - 1)
4) My entry at 15 works out, giving some military hardware / aquaria as a possible partner word.

5) My question is...am I entering the military hardware / aquaria at 1Dn, or leaving name of the 1951 documentary short directed by Zinneman and starring Henry Fonda in the grid, and writing the military hardware / aquaria under the grid? If it's the former, there are no problems at 11& 16 Across, but 1 Across is a non-word.
19 of 32  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th August 2019, 20:20
You're right on all counts, turast.

The 'hardware' doesn't replace 1dn but is written below the grid (its partner is to be highlighted, of course).

If you look at ginge's response to me (at 15) you'll see that we share the same concerns about the potential non-word at 1ac - but I'm sure he's right and we are guilty of overcomplicating the endgame.
20 of 32  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1395