CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

7th July 2019, 04:10
I know I've been off the setter's wavelength recently and been out out of step with the general consensus, but I definitely think this is at the harder end of the scale, at least compared to the recent run of puzzles. There's even a French phrase, and not even an anglicized one like "deja vu".

Anyway, maybe I'm just out of step again but I do think this will cause some problems and I'll be interested to hear what others make of it.
1 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th July 2019, 04:43
PS. I have the answer to this but can't figure out the parsing....

24a Everyman's introducing two ways to be revealing (8)
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

mattrom

7th July 2019, 06:03
Hi Brendan, re 24a.
'Everyman is' = I'm + a way of doing something + a thoroughfare, abbreviated.
3 of 41  -   Report This Post

phil10000

7th July 2019, 08:06
Persevered with this setter for six months now, but this is the last straw for me, I'm afraid. Incoherent, vague clues (on what planet does 5D make any sense?!) and, as is so often the case, more a test of patience and endurance rather than fun. After 20 years of doing the Observer crossword, enough is enough (until they appoint a setter who actually has a clue). See you gals and guys.
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

cerasus

7th July 2019, 08:17
I usually complete by breakfast time, but I still have two in the NW to parse. A few were complete guesses ! A little trickier than the last few weeks
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

cerasus

7th July 2019, 08:22
@Phil10000

5d is a clever anagram of three words and I thought was a humorous clue. I enjoyed the film too !
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th July 2019, 08:25
After half an hour I have a complete RHS but almost nothing on the LHS - I may be back.

P.S. I thought 5d was a great clue too!
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

phil10000

7th July 2019, 08:31
Hi Chris and Cerasus. I mean that the clue itself makes no sense. OK, it gives the answer, but it's syntactically excruciating. Happens far too often with this setter, I think.
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th July 2019, 08:33
Yes, it would make more sense with "are" after auto, but I think he gets away with it.

I've now done the SW. 13a doesn't seem to have an inclusion indicator.
9 of 41  -   Report This Post

clarkgwent

7th July 2019, 08:37
Got everything except 6D

have a -i-n-o- is that right?

Another vote for 5d which I have never seen but it is culturally referenced aplenty.
10 of 41  -   Report This Post