CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

georgekirrin

7th July 2019, 09:54
This is such an accessible crossword! the 1a is hysterical, its spot on. 5 d is a perfect anagram describing exactly the content of the film. 6d, well there are only so many French phrases for 'in a while'. and this one starts with one letter, so...
I'm not very good at crosswords and the Everyman is the only one I can handle, and many of them recently have had me completely befuddled and close to giving up the habit altogether, but todays has got me back on board.
So how out of step with the rest of this forum do I feel?
having said all that, Im stumped and humbly ask help with

17a Surprising appearance of genetic material (lacking nitrogen) startled Darwin. (4.4)
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th July 2019, 09:58
17 is an anagram of "Darwin" after two letters from genetic material. Not a very precise definition!
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

7th July 2019, 10:52
@ georgekirrin
Re 6d...
I think you are wrong there..... the definition is "French farewell"....
"in a while " is part of the parsing…..
it is an anagram of another term for "a while" + "note"
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

cerasus

7th July 2019, 11:02
I agree with the parsing for 6d. but the expression does also translate as "see you in a while"
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

7th July 2019, 11:17
Yes, "a bientot " translates as "see you soon".... but "in a while " is NOT the definition as previously stated.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

cerasus

7th July 2019, 11:18
I agreed with you Elle !
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

7th July 2019, 11:23
Yes, I did realise that, Cerasus ,but I thought the conversation might be clouding the issue for " georgekirrin" (should he ever come back to read what we 've said ) so thought I would stress the distinction
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

7th July 2019, 14:11
Got the pig/seasoning—thanks cerasus and chrise— but not the crosses. 2d: morose at first, and cut up, faced with ordeal at school. (4). E?a?

4d. Absence of emotion in ‘about a boy’ (6). Rea?o?
Thanks
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

7th July 2019, 14:16
Just got 4d. So just 2d now.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

cerasus

7th July 2019, 14:20
4d re a son
I cannot agree with the def. absence of emotion. I may be wrong
30 of 41  -   Report This Post