CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

8th July 2019, 08:23
The entry is the capital of Samoa. If you put a usual 'gold' inside, you'd have a difficulty.
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

xij

8th July 2019, 08:35
Thanks laertes, it’s nice to put the last two letters in and find out I was correct all along but without knowing why. I’ve never heard of that term for London, or that term for handwriting.
As difficult as this puzzle was, I feel a bit deflated having finished. No grid staring, no shapes to find, no highlighting. Still a good workout though.
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

notrab

8th July 2019, 08:52
Thanks malone. I had not heard of either the capital or the word for difficulty! I do not submit entries but it is nice to be able to fill in the one missing letter.
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

simond9x

8th July 2019, 11:07
Finished, all very enjoyable and a nice PDM re the jumbled words. I just can't see the wordplay for 20d. I can see the definition and the extra word but......
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th July 2019, 11:30
Hi simond9x,
cond(one) in sei; [extraneous].
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

simond9x

8th July 2019, 12:43
Thanks ginge
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

smithsax

8th July 2019, 14:46
I found the endgame very frustrating. Managed the grid fill fairly quickly but could not identify the quotation despite having all the words except the title and the author. Googled it every way I could think of.
After 2 days of intermittent tinkering I recognised the end of a longer word in 17, then 18 and it dawned I needed to add letters to resolve ambiguities.
So I completed the puzzle but was still none the wiser about the work.
I now know the source from an earlier post in this forum but the only way I can get it from Google is to put the whole quotation including the title in the search engine with quotation marks around.
Borderline unfair for those of us who are not familiar with this author.
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

malone

8th July 2019, 15:22
Smithsax, I put only the first four words of the quotation, inside quotation marks, into Google and got the source immediately.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

smithsax

8th July 2019, 16:18
Ah - I should have tried fragments. I did not think the title would come between the 4th and 5th words.
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

malone

8th July 2019, 16:34
Thanks, Smithsax. I mentioned my 'method' only because you'd got nowhere initially with Google and went on to say that the whole quotation, including the title, was needed. I'm glad you finished the puzzle.
30 of 42  -   Report This Post