CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

5th July 2019, 14:31
I think it's just possible that 'at' has been mistakenly taken to mean 'in the place of' (from the Chambers entry - 'for') rather than 'instead of'.

Also, I think STOWED would fit the definition at 28d in the sense of 'swallowed' rather than 'intoxicated' (Chambers entry - 'stow') 'to put down one's throat (joc.)'.
The wordplay is weaker - because SLO(g) is better than STO(t) for 'tramp' - but, like others, I can't find a dictionary entry giving 'slowed' for 'drunk'.
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

5th July 2019, 14:49
Drxx, it was 'stowed' that I was thinking of - but didn't like the 'tramp' aspect. I felt 'slowed' was slightly odd or unfair if it's not in any of the usual, dictionaries. I think I was hoping for someone to say, 'it's not in Chambers or Collins, but is in the OED.'

'At = For' is specifically mentioned in my Collins.
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

drxx

5th July 2019, 16:53
I've just got back and read your post malone. Thanks for guiding me to 'for' = AT, it's in my (ancient) Collins at entry 6 - I should look through that dictionary more often.

I doubt we'll ever find out the reasoning behind 28d. The published solution will provide the answer but it won't clear up the mystery (as usual!).
13 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

5th July 2019, 16:55
Thanks, Drxx. My Collins is pretty ancient, but I didn't think the 'at=for' would have been removed in later editions.
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

drxx

5th July 2019, 17:19
I can't imagine it's been removed in later editions malone - dictionaries only seem to get fatter over time.
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

kt17

6th July 2019, 00:23
Drxx in fairness we haven't approached Pab to ask - he or she may well be happy to explain if we ask nicely - shall I have a go?

Mx
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

blignop

6th July 2019, 12:52
Well, I reckon that these two clues are thin gruel for pabulum. Areta is such a rare name - something like 1 in 30,000.
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th July 2019, 13:08
Hi blignop, it does appear in "Some first names" section of Chambers which may justify it.
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

truron

7th July 2019, 15:07
This whole thread has been helpful but parsing of some clues has been challenging. I believe that I have finished but remain uncertain about unclued 10 down. I have ?H?NE and am inclined to "shine" or "shone". The word to be shaded is very short.
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

malone

7th July 2019, 15:11
Truron, it's neither of those! It begins with W. I no longer have my notes, so this is from memory - I think it comes from the version of ????with the last vowel in it....
20 of 24  -   Report This Post