CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

12th June 2019, 16:50
Malone

I was disappointed with the main course also. Steak and Ale Pie would have fitted neatly.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2019, 17:03
Grunger

Steak and Ale pie came along a few years later, I think - I'd have much preferred that myself!
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

manic mary

12th June 2019, 17:27
The answer to 19a provoked a load groan, thank you for that Malone. Still can't get a handle on the main course or 8a. I cannot think of anything remotely 'posh' about SR's or what else they could be, I keep thinking of the Berni Inn menus of the 70's to try and get an idea, but it was all steaks and either plaice or scampi depending on how 'posh' each particular Berni was. I think I must have some of the wrong letters in the RH perimeter but can't currently see where I am wrong.
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2019, 17:35
MM, a sausage roll has meat inside pastry, so does the posher answer/main course. It's something I've never cooked - the meat would probably end up as tough as old wellies (nudge, big hint!)

44 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2019, 17:38
MM, for 25 A, the first three letters (two words) mean 'in the manner of', the next three are the first three letters (abrupt) of a four-letter story teller...
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

manic mary

12th June 2019, 18:22
Thank you Malone.......yet another groan, I am sure this was not a dish that appeared on too many menus in the 70's, few of us had that amount of money for fillet! Have never made it but have done the salmon version. However, the second E is not conversant with my 12a so will have to revert to the BRB for guidance . Still struggling with 8a. Perhaps a pre- prandial might help.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

12th June 2019, 19:37
I like the 'glorified sausage roll' hint Malone. I am sure we all have our preferred main course here. As for the Blue Nun being missing as suggested by Orson, I am afraid I have red with everything. I admit it, I am a wine Philistine!
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2019, 19:46
Alwayspuzzled, glad you liked the sausage roll hint - though it wasn't much of a help for MM. (She got there in the end, so it doesn't matter). I was expecting chicken Kiev to be the main course, though I'm not sure of the time frame for that.
48 of 48  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1386