CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

11th June 2019, 11:51
I’m still stuck and would love to complete this as I am a 70s child.
Can I have a hint for 4a please?
Officer overcome by a cut drink (7)
Thank you.
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

scarlett

11th June 2019, 12:11
the officer is cop inside a + a 3letter synonym of cut

defn alcoholic drink
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

11th June 2019, 12:25
Thank you, Scarlett.
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

turast

11th June 2019, 12:39
To have really re-captured the zeitgeist of the 1970s, it would have been amusing to see the main course as SIRLOIN STEAK, and the words BERNI INN highlighted in the diagonal. The main course used here is far posher than any I ever experienced at that time.
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

11th June 2019, 12:58
I thought Angel Delight might be involved somewhere, given the title.

Lovely puzzle.

35 of 48  -   Report This Post

bigf

12th June 2019, 12:45
Nothing I try leads me to the answer for 16ac -"Old band follows Australian spies"(5). I have the whole grid filled in and have found the words to be highlighted, but I have one annoying blank cell to fill in! Any help would be appreciated to put me out of my misery.
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th June 2019, 12:58
Hi bigf, facia a variant of fascia.
f (following rather than follows) + a (Australian) + CIA.
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

bigf

12th June 2019, 13:47
Many thanks ginge. I was looking for a word for spies. Back to watching it rain now!
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

manic mary

12th June 2019, 15:39
Love the suggestion of the inclusion of Angel Delight. Although I have the high-lighted word, I am having difficulty with the main course and can't think of anything to fit.
As I am still missing 19 (Waterfowl by the banks of Exe river (in air) did have scoter but couldn't make sense of it) & 25(Inability to talk in the manner of abrupt story teller) I have large gaps so some heavy hints would be appreciated, also for 8a (Language experts twice apprehended by American deserters)
Many thanks
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2019, 15:46
MM, Scoter isn't right for 19 - but the answer does begin with S. The definition is 'air', as in a song. You need a four-letter waterfowl, very common, then the usual 'banks' of 'Exe'.

8. The answer is 'language experts', experts in a specific language. 'Twice apprehended by American' gives you 2 x one letter. The 'deserters' are the usual short crossword word.

PS The main course wasn't what I'd have come up with. Do you like sausage rolls? It's a posh version!
40 of 48  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1386