CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

3rd March 2019, 10:48
That works for 6d, simond9x, but using a three letter abbreviation (the middle one being extra) inside the obvious two letter acronym for “air staff” might be more precise
21 of 51  -   Report This Post

murky

3rd March 2019, 11:52
I couldn't see any inherent difference between the hangover across answers and the unclued letter answers that look like hangovers so it was all a bit of trial and error at the end. I didn't find this aspect very satisfactory.
22 of 51  -   Report This Post

foinaven

3rd March 2019, 11:55
6d: That is what I had, but it gives me a redundant letter N and the item I have (which fits perfectly with the theme and uses 10 of the extra letters) has no N in it. I am looking for an A.

So that does not work for me.
23 of 51  -   Report This Post

foinaven

3rd March 2019, 11:59
6d again: Sorry, I was responding to the first post on this, but Quisling makes it clear how it works, and that does indeed give me the A I wanted. I had a one letter abbreviation for National and an abbreviation which more of a service than a staff
24 of 51  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 12:25
Hi folks, one if the reasons I rarely contribute to Listener threads (though I always look in after completion) is I don't seem to know what constitutes a hint ! I appreciate there have been 2 threads lately but regardless I remain somewhat bamboozled.
I'm not singling gitto out but rather using his posts here as an example. 1st post A HINT in capital letters. 2nd post an acknowledgement of not yet seeing the parsing but no specific request for additional information or to change A HINT to supplying the answer which I believe pointing out it's written within the clue backwards most definitely is; which the OP then thanked the supplier.
Had I initially posted such would I have been subjected to some of the (overly?) harsh comments I have seen directed to some posters who, after all, are trying to help.
25 of 51  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

3rd March 2019, 12:30
If the item is what I think (11 letters beginning with 'p'), 23D must be a hangover clue - as if it was unaffected, which appears to be the case, the extra letter would be 'd' - but why?
26 of 51  -   Report This Post

quisling

3rd March 2019, 12:38
son1ofrover1, it is unaffected, but the definition is the last three words, not the last two, giving a different answer
27 of 51  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

3rd March 2019, 13:07
Of course - 'r' instead of 'd'! Thank you Quisling.
28 of 51  -   Report This Post

ethik

3rd March 2019, 13:18
Stumped by 8a & d. Help/hint/nudge (call it what you will) appreciated!
29 of 51  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 13:24
Hi ethik, 8a is an impostor and 8d. is a (i).
30 of 51  -   Report This Post