CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smithsax

2nd March 2019, 23:59
This was a strange one. I completed most of the grid and got the item before I properly understood the thematic manipulations. Now I have a completed grid with the maxim and item but so many loose ends it will take an hour or two tomorrow morning before I am happy it is all correct.
Is there anything clever about the title?
11 of 51  -   Report This Post

casanova

3rd March 2019, 06:35
I have completed the grid and I have the item and I think I have the maxim. However, as mentioned in the comments on the forum I am having difficulty reconciling one letter. I don’t really understand how a hungover imposter is different to a normal hungover clue, and I think that may be impeding my progress with this puzzle. Also I am still not able to parse 14a. although I have the extra letter. Any help would be much appreciated.
12 of 51  -   Report This Post

casanova

3rd March 2019, 06:58
To put it more succinctly I am missing an n, and the only possibility I can see is 28a. However I don’t see how this clue constitutes a hungover imposter.
13 of 51  -   Report This Post

gitto

3rd March 2019, 07:53
Finally finished! Still do not understand 14a, but I am 100% happy that I have a correct solution. The maxim took longer than the rest of the puzzle due to the ambiguity as to who the imposters are - but 5mins on CWW sorted that out. A very clever puzzle with one or two small niggles, but hugely enjoyable, however, the maxim drove me to drink!!
14 of 51  -   Report This Post

smartie

3rd March 2019, 08:08
Gitto - the answer is hidden in the clue, minus the one letter. To the west - read backwards.
15 of 51  -   Report This Post

casanova

3rd March 2019, 08:58
I’ve got14a. now! So simple and yet I couldn’t see it. However, as I said in my earlier posts, I don’t understand how the clues that are hungover imposters operate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
16 of 51  -   Report This Post

gitto

3rd March 2019, 09:18
Thanks Smartie, that makes 14a a very clever and devious clue - I like it (now)!
17 of 51  -   Report This Post

smithsax

3rd March 2019, 09:48
I have now resolved all but one of the loose ends so am happy it is correct. I think 6 must be a hangover but I can’t see how it parses.
18 of 51  -   Report This Post

foinaven

3rd March 2019, 10:27
I have the grid fill and both maxim and item, but there are some annoying loose ends. I am missing a hangover, and, along with other posters, cannot really understand the difference between these and ordinary clues. In particular, I cannot parse 20a. I know what letter I require for the maxim, and this can arise in one of two ways. Either 17a is a hangover, in which case the letter comes from 20a, or 17a is not a hangover, and then 20a is.

I also appear to be missing a letter for the item. This might come from 6d in which case I cannot parse the clue, or 6d is a hangover and the letter comes from elsewhere. This is very frustrating.
19 of 51  -   Report This Post

simond9x

3rd March 2019, 10:34
6d starts with a 4 letter acronym from which the first letter is dropped.

I'm like everyone else, grid filled, maxim and item found but several 'loose ends' to tidy up (if I can be bothered).
20 of 51  -   Report This Post