CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

21st November 2018, 21:31
Thanks mattrom and congrats, therogue
Thanks for the clip - quite interesting. People thought that Columbus was mad, not because they thought that he would sail of the edge of the world, but because they had quite a good idea of how far away India was, sailing west from Spain!
However the presenter does confuse the Middle Ages with the Dark Ages. Whether the Dark Ages were dark or not, they were considerably earlier than mediaeval times!
41 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st November 2018, 21:32
Forgot to say - could I have a parse, please? I don't think I'm seeing any of it!
42 of 60  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2018, 21:35
I was taught that the medieval era was between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.
43 of 60  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2018, 21:38
Not that I learned it from Wikipedia!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
44 of 60  -   Report This Post

pigale

21st November 2018, 21:41
Congratulations Therogue, and thanks Mattrom for word and the
clip.

Now, my brain is rather woozy at present, and I am afraid I don't
get the word play! Am I being particularly dense? (Please don't
say 'yes'!)
45 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st November 2018, 21:42
In England we would date the start of the Medieval Era from the Norman Conquest.

There's a great SF novel (published in 1939) by L. Sprague de Camp called "Lest darkness fall". A contemporary historian is transported back to Rome in the time of Belisarius and does his best to prevent the "Dark Ages".
46 of 60  -   Report This Post

pigale

21st November 2018, 21:43
Oops - did not see Chrise's post!
47 of 60  -   Report This Post

therogue

21st November 2018, 21:54
Cheers Mr A for your kind words! I had to look on Wikipedia too, the only reference I knew about the dark ages was Chaucer.

Chris, it's fairly simple really,
I - me
Pass on - die
Toilet - lav
:)
48 of 60  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2018, 21:55
chrise: Have you ever read "Three Six Seven" by Peter Vansittart (one of my favorite British writers)? It's about Roman Britain. His "A Choice of Murder" is superb, set in Timoleon's Syracuse.
49 of 60  -   Report This Post

pigale

21st November 2018, 21:58
Thanks Therogue - simple but very clever! I should have got it!
50 of 60  -   Report This Post