CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

21st November 2018, 18:50
This time cry off; used to be devil-may-care in the dim and distant past (9)
31 of 60  -   Report This Post

mattrom

21st November 2018, 19:02
Hi Ginge, an early-morning workout for my brain. Re #31, I can see that it's an anagram of 'devil-may-care' minus 'cry', not sure about the indicators?
32 of 60  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st November 2018, 19:18
Hi mattrom, it's additive rather than subtractive ("this" time =
definition + cry) off (anagrind)
used to be = could give
devil-may-care as you see
In the dim and distant past = another definition (consistent with the other using "time").

Didn't have a lot of time to smooth as the deadline was approaching.
33 of 60  -   Report This Post

mattrom

21st November 2018, 19:22
Thanks, Ginge.
34 of 60  -   Report This Post

mattrom

21st November 2018, 19:54
Thanks for all your entries this week - 22 clues from 13 setters. I chose a word with limited synonyms but, I thought, many possibilities for anagrams and composite clues.

My (final) short list included tatters #5, aristo #17 and BBM2 #22
I couldn't resist the wordplay in therogue's composite # 23, making him this week's winner with

In old age I pass on toilet roll

Well done therogue. Your prize was inspired by aristo's earlier comment. I decided against the torture compilations for something more upbeat. It is perhaps a little earnest, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqzq01i2O3U

Cheers.

35 of 60  -   Report This Post

tyke51

21st November 2018, 20:09
Good effort therogue...thanks mattrom!
36 of 60  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st November 2018, 20:13
Congratulations therogue, cheers mattrom.
37 of 60  -   Report This Post

therogue

21st November 2018, 20:38
Thank you mattrom!
The clue was the result of a rare late night for me and a drop of Jack Daniels. I looked at the word again early this morning and couldn't get any half decent ideas going!
A very enlightening clip. Seems we didn't do too bad after the romans left then?!
See you all next week.
38 of 60  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

21st November 2018, 20:56
Loved your clue, therogue. Thanks so much for the mention, mattrom, and for the clip. What a coincidence! Esolen corresponds regularly with my best friend; in fact I was forwarded one of his articles just a couple of days ago (about the degradation of the modern university). He teaches nearby, and my friend keeps telling me that I have to meet him.
39 of 60  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

21st November 2018, 21:01
Congratulations Therogue
Cheers Mattrom
40 of 60  -   Report This Post