CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

20th October 2018, 19:38
1d: The definition is at the end of the clue.
You want an abbreviation for "copper", and a rather rude word for "idiot"

2d: This is , I think, an "& lit"
A word for "steer" followed by a vehicle
11 of 38  -   Report This Post

mackania

20th October 2018, 19:46
For 9a, if you are stuck on this, there is a word in the clue that is quite well disguised. One of the better clues in the whole thing.
12 of 38  -   Report This Post

roof

20th October 2018, 20:28
I'm stuck on more than this. Can anyone tell me what an & lit is?

What about a hint for 11d One could do with a clean with crew and Jack (12). Is the definition Jack. I have ???G?T??????

Roof
13 of 38  -   Report This Post

griffin

20th October 2018, 20:29
Finished- thanks for the hints.
However, I have to say that it was a rather unsatisfactory crossword
14 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th October 2018, 20:41
I agree - I didn't enjoy it much. I was stuck with only about 6 answers in until the hint @2 in this thread; the rest then went in surprisingly easily.

Roof - work into it a rowing "crew". The definition is pretty obscure unless you watch the Olympics thoroughly
15 of 38  -   Report This Post

roof

20th October 2018, 20:51
Thanks Chrise

I now have an answer for 11d despite not watching any olympics! I've no idea what the definition is.
I still don't know what forum members mean by "& lit"
16 of 38  -   Report This Post

elle

20th October 2018, 20:57

chrise

20th October 2018, 20:58
Hi roof

The definition is a particular thing your answer does to be successful.

&lit means "and literally". It's used for clues where the definition is also the entire wordplay. If some of the wordplay isn't contributing to the definition, it's called a "partial &lit".

I didn't think there were any good examples in this puzzle, though 2d is probably closest.
18 of 38  -   Report This Post

elle

20th October 2018, 20:59
Chris, is this not a typical Guardian Prize puzzle then?
This is the first time I have attempted it......and I rather liked it!
19 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th October 2018, 21:04
Hi elle

Therre isn't really a "typical Guardian puzzle". I suppose that this is why, unlike the Times, they always say who the compiler is. They each tend to have their own quirks.

Tramp doesn't appear frequently, and he does tend to divide opinion when he does.

Fifteensquared has a list of compilers and their pseudonyms. Some produce puzzles under different names for several papers. (It's also a great site to visit for answers and parsings of the puzzles from several papers (though they are very careful not to comment on Prize puzzles until the deadline has expired).

http://www.fifteensquared.net/
20 of 38  -   Report This Post