CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

7th August 2019, 11:18
I have done just that, pigale and found horse riding is tops on some lists. I concur, having spent about 8 weeks in hospital as a child after a fall from a pony! Nothing would now get me on a horse.
Rugby is also high on the list. When my teenage son brouht a note from school to say he'd forgotten his rugby kit again, I wrote "Good!" and sent it back. I believe school rugby is safer now but I still think it's a thuggish game. (am ducking!)
28601 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

7th August 2019, 11:36
Hello Ros,

Quite frankly, I think all sports can be dangerous at one time or
another - sometimes not while they are being played, but more in
the sequels they leave later on in life.

and even though I enjoy watching a good game of Rugby, I do agree
that it can be dangerous - my Scottish-American husband played
American Football at College/university, then he joined the London-Scottish team in Rugby - He carried several scars on his legs etc, and DID suffer from injury sequels when older, particularly on one knee.

I guess we must not think too much about injuries when playing/watching some sport otherwise no-one would play them
and they would die out!

I know there is such a thing as 'tennis elbow' - what about what is called 'typist-wrist.....! I had an operation of the Carpal Tunnel on my left hand - just as painful as some sport injuries!
just because of that !
28602 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th August 2019, 11:56
and I know of an eye consutant who would make gardening illegal! :-)) As it happens I got bilateral tenosynovitis from gardening. My wrists recovered, though.

Sport dying out is fine by me! I never watch or play any whatever, except waching an obscure martial art when I have to.
28603 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

7th August 2019, 12:03
eye consultant and gardening...??? Why?

Was your tenosynovitis caused by an infection while gardening, or
by something linked to arthritis? I have never heard of this problem.
28604 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th August 2019, 13:17
Because so many injuries to eyes are caused when people garden.I have poked myself in the eye once or twice, but it must be more than that!

I had done a lot of weeding in the garden of our new house (new to us!), having never done any before. The pile of weeds was pretty big, so I put my hands on top and pushed down hard expecting the pile to squash up. It didn't! Next day my wrists creaked and soon I couldn't write or paint (decorating). That was more than 4 decades ago and I can still only paint with a 2" brush or it returns. I know it seems daft but the first time I painted the outside walls of the house, I had to use a 1" brush and wrist supports!
28605 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

7th August 2019, 13:53
A weird yet painful experience I imagine! I have never heard of any similar complaints! You must have put all your strength in pushing down the pile of weeds!
Difficult to understand why it did not squash up at all !

As for painting the outside walls with a 1" brush, well, ..;... it must have taken ages!

28606 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th August 2019, 14:49
Certainly took a long time; about 6 weeks! But that did include the window frames.
I was within an ace of stepping back from the scaffolding tower to admire my handiwork- on a bedroom window. OOps...
28607 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

7th August 2019, 16:06
Thanks for the new expression - never heard of 'being an ace of' -
live and learn always!
28608 of 30765  -   Report This Post

pigale

7th August 2019, 16:07
Sorry - 'being within an ace of '
28609 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th August 2019, 16:11
Very, very nearly! In this case I had actually put a foot back but fortunately had hold of the safety rail!
28610 of 30765  -   Report This Post