CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

12th December 2018, 20:25
Hi, Rusty!
Now....back in the humdrum, trivial world prior to Boltonmania....
I did not know of "Porting Authorisation Code"!
I kept the same number when I changed to my present phone...now of many years' standing......but I do not know however I achieved this!
Suffice it that fortunately it happened.
Have you finished your family taxiing now, or do you have to "collect" later?
I have yet to watch "Eggheads"...….I shall go and do so now.
24541 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

12th December 2018, 20:57
Hello, Elle!
If you stay with the same network provider, your number stays the same, but if you move to another network, you need the PAC to give to your new provider and they do whatever and your number follows you.
This can take a couple of days, but you are given a temporary number until the porting is complete.
Taxiing finished!
La Bamba and me are heading to Pine Cone tomorrow, if we can get a table!
24542 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

12th December 2018, 21:10
Hi, Rusty!
Ah, I see!
That would explain it...I changed my phone, but not the provider.
I have had this present phone a very long time!
They were certainly "built to last" (in those days!)
It is good that your taxiing has finished, as it is cold out and miserable and not the sort of night for gallivanting!
I hope you get a table at the Pine Cone tomorrow.......but you may well be going earlier than usual, if Miss L-B has to go to Uni afterwards?
That will surely help?
24543 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

12th December 2018, 21:16
Sorry to be so behind the times, my uncle and aunt lived in St Asaph for about 55 years. We used to visit quite often and my favourite place to go from there was Cefn Caves, whch are no longer open to the public. We could just walk in, with torches and candles by which to have a picnic. This was my birthday treat of choice!

I have a family portrait done in the late eighteenth century. It was taken to the Lady Lever Art Gallery to be cleaned (has a label saying so on the back). When I took the painting to the Ashmolean, they were most scathing - "seriously over-cleaned". OOps. Lovely gallery, though.
24544 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

12th December 2018, 21:32
Hello, Elle!
I am with EE and would prefer to stay with them, but they are quite expensive now, so I think I'll be off.
But I'll be contacting them anyway for the PAC, and will see what they say.
Just emailed BT with the best offer I have had and asked if they could better it.
So....we'll see!
Miss L-B finished term at Uni yesterday.
She's off now until second week in January, I think.
She's driving tomorrow, too.
I doubt Pine Cone will be as busy as it was at the weekend.
But we have ASDA or Starbucks to fall back on, if need be.
24545 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

12th December 2018, 22:12
HI, Rusty!
Well, with Miss L-B being on holiday, she will be much more versatile, so you at least will be able to pick and choose your days and times for a while.
At least you have alternative venues lined up!
I, too, am going out to eat tomorrow.. .....
"Ladies who Lunch" in its now reduced form!
Jeremy cracked a quick off- the- cuff quip on "Eggheads".
The question was about bariatrics...... a branch of medicine dealing with obesity.
Jeremy referred to its being a suitable question for Barry, as one of "Barry's hat tricks"!
Shades of Mr R's homophones?
24546 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th December 2018, 09:10
Hello Rosalind

I bet your trips to St Asaph seemed to take an age. We used to go to Caernarfon and it took 2 hours by car - just over 1 hour now. The A55 has made a massive difference to travelling in N Wales.

I have never been to Cefn Caves, but on looking it up, it seems you can ask in advance for permission to visit. I might take my son in the summer. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry to hear about your portrait -hope it is not too badly damaged.
24547 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th December 2018, 09:22
Hello Rusty

I have been looking for a link on official sites but cant find one. However the link posted by Elle from the Bolton News says that the Queen turned down the request. In other words she declared that Bolton is not a city.

It is interesting that 58% of residents of Bolton in the survey felt that she made the correct decision.
24548 of 30765  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th December 2018, 09:42
The following announcement is expected to be made at the Palace later.

It give me great pleasure to announce that Ellesmere Port has been elevated to the status of city. It is a large town and has 3 of the UKs best 20 tourist attractions; Blue Planet Aquarium, the National Boat Museum and the enormous Cheshire Oaks Shopping Centre, the largest in Europe, as well as being near a fourth, Chester Zoo.
24549 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

13th December 2018, 10:08
Hello, Jigjag,
You can't find a link because the Queen never "insisted" on anything.
"In other words she declared Bolton is not a city"
The Queen declared nothing of the kind.
Again, you are putting words in the Queen's mouth.
All reputable dictionaries have the first definition of "city" as "a large town".

24550 of 30765  -   Report This Post