CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrisg

30th October 2012, 10:43
Good morning RT'ers. Struggled with this one. Took quite a while to figure out 1down but managed this after I had worked out the TV programme in the shaded squares which gave me the first letter of the answer. Sat up late last night watching the progress of "Sandy" as I have quite a few friends who live in the Baltimore and Washington areas. Thankfully they are okay except for power outages. Good luck with the crossword !
1 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2012, 11:30
Hi chris
I found it straightforward, except, of course, for the two short ones I have left!
5dn Spell out loud to unsettle (4)
19dn Extracted from noisy climber's support (5)
(I've deliberately not given the letters I have, so as not to spoil it for others). Any hints?
21dn Field marshal needs to lose weight (4) - I would have thought the more obvious way of reading it is that he doesn't need to lose weight!
2 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrisg

30th October 2012, 11:35
Hi Chrise. I agree about 21d although you could read "needs" as requirement? For 5d the definition is spell but not the magical kind and it is a "sounds like"..and 19d - think ladders !
3 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2012, 11:38
Thanks chris, I still had to work my way through the alphabet to find the first letter for 19 - got there eventually though!
Garden calls - tidying up before the forecast wind and rain tomorrow.
4 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrisg

30th October 2012, 11:38
sorry - the definition for 5d is unsettle but it sounds like spell as mentioned
5 of 46  -   Report This Post

mondrian

30th October 2012, 11:44
Chris e and g. You are quick off the mark! I am just about to buy my copy of RT. And indeed I have only just caught up with last week`s postings (out of action owing to a `bug` of some kind - not computer related) where I see we are starting to acquire quite a following in France. Welcome to the newcomers.
See you all later in the week.
6 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrisg

30th October 2012, 11:49
Hi Mondrian - glad to hear you have recovered !..lots of tummy bugs around my neck of the woods at the moment
7 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2012, 12:08
Driven in by a shower - it seems to rain here even when it is dry everywhere else this year!
Thanks, chrisg - all done now.
Hi mondrian - how is your garden?
8 of 46  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th October 2012, 13:52
Good afternoon all
Well done to the two chris's . I only returned from the shops at 13.00 hrs. and am nibbling lunch while struggling with the RT. It is warm and sunny here but this is not helping my brain . Despite your hints, I still cannot see 5d (I also have 15a,14d, 24a 11a, 3d and 6d.to solve) I think another coffee is needed. :(
9 of 46  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th October 2012, 14:05
Hi jazzgirl
5d not a pretty word - think spell as in "period"
I'll leave you to ponder the others - nothing too difficult - get back if you would like more hints.
10 of 46  -   Report This Post