CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tommyt

12th November 2011, 19:15
Why Trevor ?
31 of 41  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th November 2011, 19:24
oops, sorry TommyT, i thought you were joking - you are, aren't you?
32 of 41  -   Report This Post

tommyt

12th November 2011, 19:26
No trevor
what is your point?
33 of 41  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th November 2011, 20:24
no point really.

"Several of the site's cleverest contributors have left for Answerbank because of the small mindedness of some contributors."

who and who?
34 of 41  -   Report This Post

the joker

12th November 2011, 21:39
The silence is positively deafening here Trevor.
35 of 41  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th November 2011, 23:16
tommyT.
re Tony,
it was bleeding obvious that SHAPE WELL was the correct answer and the clue was crap, but he had to raise himself above the rest of us with,
"me doing duties as a 'checker' occasionally, we are more exacting."
'more exacting'? The clue was crap, end of...

...replying to Jolans 5@5 after just 30 mins saying how easy he found them is bound to put others off, and then posting all the answers with explanations and precision timing, 5:0 clock on the dot - does the word 'anal' apply here? (i honestly don't know).
Is it any wonder that others didn't bother taking part?
can you blame people for thinking he is a show off?
he left this site once before(for good, he said) i'm glad he came back but i can only conclude that the sheer size of his head has left him a bit thin-skinned elsewhere.
36 of 41  -   Report This Post

ixion

13th November 2011, 01:52
OK..head raised above the parapet with the benefit of a nights drinking behind me.

Since I first found this site there seems to have been a dichotomy(gross oversimplications to follow)between serious solvers and others....by others at that time I refer to Trevor and Terry, gross oversimplification because Trevor and Terry quite clearly are serious and accomplished solvers BUT also have(and I share this to some extent)a profound distaste for the slightest whiff of pretentiousness.
However, cryptic crossword solving by its very nature is a conceit.The discussions which I used to enjoy with AJT etc (and still do) over AZED etc are (to non crossworders) certainly pretentious. The input of Tony and others with greater crossword knowledge(I include you in that category Trevor) on this site is very important.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ...live and let live.
37 of 41  -   Report This Post

tony

13th November 2011, 11:13
Dear Jolan
I'm so sorry that your thread has descended into this.
I had not intended to post on it but when I read in your message 17/37 that 'I'd love to have Tony's comments' I relayed my views on the clue and the reasons I thought others may think we were being pedantic over what is, after all, only a crossword clue.
My remarks were addressed to you personally (albeit on a public forum) and I included, as you had asked about them, my reasons for not joining your 5@5 for the past few weeks.

Sadly this has resulted in the diatribe from Trevor. He doesn't make clear whether he thinks that the other contributors who post answers at 5pm (& sometimes before) are also
'Anal'. Similarly I am not the only one to comment on the difficulty, or otherwise, of the clues. More 'anals'?
He takes exception to my suggestion that with you being a setter & me being an occasional checker could possibly make us more finicky (exacting) about the correctness of a clue.

I would like to say that maybe Trevor was just having a bad day but, unfortunately he does have 'previous' and feels it falls to him, on behalf of the site, to prick any perceived pretentiousness.

I hope you will continue to set your challenging clues.
Best wishes.
Tony
38 of 41  -   Report This Post

phillip

13th November 2011, 12:23
Tony. For somebody who so clearly considers himself such a bright star and far above the slime dwelling masses you sure are a sensitive soul.

A lot of your problems on this site stem from your imaginative interpretation of things said to you. You know what I mean. Anything less than flattering becomes a savage personal attack. Not sycophantic enough, must be vile abuse. It's this sort of "previous" that makes you a bad joke.

39 of 41  -   Report This Post

rambler

13th November 2011, 13:54
Hi Tony

Half Teuton and full English part of speech.
40 of 41  -   Report This Post