CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

11th November 2011, 16:53
Gee! Thanks Phillip.
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

phillip

11th November 2011, 16:56
That's OK.
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

tonyw

11th November 2011, 18:54
Hi Jolan,I have the crossword in my hands but have not started it yet. Thank-you for your concern but I am extremely well and spending my time working or out geocaching(my new hobby).
http://www.geocaching.com/
I will have a go and report back,cheers Tony W
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

tony

11th November 2011, 19:26
hi Jolan

For what it's worth I'm with you over the looseness of this clue. It's not a question of being pedantic but the clue does not meet two important elements-
1) The definition of PROMISE is not SHAPE WELL.

2) If we accept that the definition would have better been SHOW PROMISE then the exact meaning is not SHAPE WELL but SHAPE UP WELL.

Possible with you being a setter and me doing duties as a 'checker' occasionally, we are more exacting.

I continue to read and enjoy your clues on a Tuesday, but after I came in for some abuse from other contributors I have refrained from joining in the discussion on your thread.
Keep up the good work. I've noticed that several newcomers to cryptics are benefitting from your thread.
Best wishes.
Tony.
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

tonyw

11th November 2011, 20:03
Sorry Tony but I thought that Jolan was talking to me because we both had to write to Saga magazine about a mistake in a crossword. I have only been using this forum for about 8 years so
I must assume he was referring to you!
My sincere apologies.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

11th November 2011, 20:19
You were not abused Tony. A few people merely pointed out what a show off you are.
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th November 2011, 11:32
Thank you Tonyw and Tess for your comments.

Hi Tony.
Great to 'hear' from you. I fully agree with your comments on this monthj's Saga C.

You know, when I read those rather unnecessary comments a few weeks ago, I felt a bit sad and hoped you would just ignore them. I miss your comprehensive contribution each week. My loss!

Tess.
OK! So the comments were not really abusive but they were discourteous. Not the kind of thing most people would say face-to-face to a stranger but seem to feel free to do so under the cloak of anonymity. They clearly hurt Tony. He is an excellent crossword analyst and seemed to enjoy interacting on my weekly thread.

Live long and prosper! J
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th November 2011, 12:28
Hi again, Tonyw
Yes, we both contacted Saga and had an apology from Saga and from the setter.

This month's C is quite tough.Look forward to hearing your comments on 15D when you reach it. "geocacheing"! Very interesting. Had a peek but not for me. Enjoy!
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

tommyt

12th November 2011, 18:55
I agree with you Jolan about the uncalled for comments about Tony.
I always look forward to his contributions on your thread and on the difficult cryptic
puzzles.
Why is it that the people with the most to say have the least to offer. I cannot recall any meaningful crosswording contributions from Tess, mog or danny.
Several of the site's cleverest contributors have left for Answerbank because of the small mindedness of some contributors.
I hope Tony does not decide it's just not worth it.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

trevor

12th November 2011, 19:11
TommyT,
i'm laughing out loud. ;-)
30 of 41  -   Report This Post