CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

4th October 2026, 02:02
This week's PDF
https://tinyurl.com/Everyman4172
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

rafflesthegt

4th October 2026, 02:35
Done in jig time, then spent as long again parsing 1d, but now I can go to bed.
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

jono

4th October 2026, 06:06
Today is the current Everyman’s 400th puzzle… a milestone he marks 4 times in the grid. To say more might be a spoiler.

He did something similar for his 300th puzzle and 100 weeks ago I had the foresight to make a diary note for today! And, yes, I’ve also made a note for the 500th puzzle.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

nicoladawn

4th October 2026, 07:20
That’s great to know Jono. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks also to Mattrom for providing the link.
Here we go…
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

phil10000

4th October 2026, 07:56
Thanks, Jono. I was wondering what that was all about. There's another couple (when added together) that could be on the same theme, too. Unfortunately, he arrived at one of them via an absolutely terrible clue!
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

yevrah

4th October 2026, 08:05
I look forward later in the day to finding out about the setter and the references to the milestone. I don't know enough about that to work it out.
I guess 13a might be one.

Something else I cannot work out is 25d. Only two possible solutions i think. A hint would be helpful.

Some great clues today. Favourites are 9d and 28a.

Thanks and have a good day.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

yevrah

4th October 2026, 08:09
Having seen a mention of a terrible clue. I think I have now got 25d.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

justsolve

4th October 2026, 08:27
Yevrah I believe it is how SC would pronounce the counterpart of a word in the clue with the definition being the last word. I don't think it's a bad clue, buts very convoluted for a 4-letter solution!
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

justsolve

4th October 2026, 08:32
Nice work-out today with some good clueing with decent redirection and red herrings - one of which 19d, my LOI, took me far longer than it should have done for me to spot!

Thanks Everyman and happy 400th!
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

phil10000

4th October 2026, 08:43
Yevrah @ 7 - Yep that's the one! For some reason, all crossword setters seem to equate SC's voice with a very bad impression of him, but even then he'd have to be positively paralytic on vodka martinis to turn the two words in question into homophones.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post