CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

14th August 2026, 15:38
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions, common in Listener puzzles, should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help with the theme may also be sought here. The assistance given shouldn't be overly generous - aim for just a nudge, a pointer in the right direction. Try to avoid giving anything that could spoil the puzzle for other solvers.

If you feel that too much information has been revealed, please contact the site administrator - Norah.evoluted@aol.com. Norah errs on the side of caution, so anything iffy is likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

jbird54

14th August 2026, 20:51
Found this one considerably easier than I expected from the preamble. Nicely constructed, thanks eXternal.
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

dylan

14th August 2026, 21:09
All done, but mystified by wordplay for 14d, 19d and 29d

Hints welcome

Thanks
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

jbird54

14th August 2026, 21:24
Dylan
14d wordplay is 2 + 2. First 2 is a 'sounds like'
19d 'broadcast' indicates how this works, 4 + 5
29d wordplay - take a single letter (ie less hot) from a word meaning the first 2 words of the clue
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

jordan

14th August 2026, 21:31
Dylan
14d - wordplay is 3,2 but you hear 2,2
19d - 4 letter homphone of mammal followed by 5 letter homophone of upright
29d - Put the hot back in as the 2nd letter and you get a stimulus
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

dylan

15th August 2026, 06:30
Thanks Jordan, all sorted now, but I didn’t know that word for upright
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

rhsl

15th August 2026, 07:17
I may just have been lucky, but the theme became obvious very quickly, so it was an easy grid solve.

Not too hard to find the second story's titular character, either. And a less literal view would have finished the whole thing very quickly.

I'm not keen on the "left behind" description.

Overall, rather unsatisfying for me, I'm afraid. But well constructed, nonetheless.
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th August 2026, 09:43
Pretty straightforward grid fill. Identifying the story and author also rather easy. I identified the companion story by seeing that the letters to be moved to the top row are also mostly unambiguous. My only doubt is what is to be highlighted, but I am 90% confident that it is a body part.
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

15th August 2026, 15:38
Very approachable. I wasn’t sure why the method of entry of some down clues reflected a motif in the second story but that simply reflects my ignorance of the work. I was also dubious about my amended 29 being a real word but there was no doubt about the amendment. And Gitto, I think the title of the puzzle should give you at least 9.9% more confidence!
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

15th August 2026, 17:37
All done apart from the highlighting. Have exhausted my self imposed 45 second limit for grid staring. Any hints as to where to look?

Ta
10 of 22  -   Report This Post