CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

14th August 2026, 10:51
Jack, no, it's purely the phrase 'Rainbow Bridge' that fills me with absolute horror and revulsion. I've read or heard far too many mawkish, maudlin (etc etc) stories - involving that blooming bridge - about the deaths of people's beloved pets. (And I decided I quite liked myself being 'triggered' by something. That might be compulsory soon, it's good to beat the rush.)

PS I don't think I like Wagner, he's probably far too earnest for me.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th August 2026, 10:59
I've heard Wagner described as having some wonderful moments, but some rather tedious half hours.
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

14th August 2026, 11:04
ChrisE, thanks - that sounds perfect to me! I've heard fragments of Wagner - maybe on 'Morse', maybe on Proms stuff on the BBC - and I don't think there were ever any that I enjoyed.
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th August 2026, 16:02
Hi malone
The gods' entrance in to Valhalla over Bifrost (I won't use the anathema term) is actually one of the highlights of The Ring Cycle.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

14th August 2026, 16:12
ChrisE, thanks - that sounds eminently missable! I don't think I will ever be able to shake off my ingrained (and perhaps unreasonable) dislike of Wagner (and many, many other things). And the older I get, the less I care!
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th August 2026, 16:17
I'll post a link, malone, if you can bring yourself to listen to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80Jw8MuZxo
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

14th August 2026, 16:20
Sorry, ChrisE, I really couldn't! Also, I prefer my laptop to be permanently on 'mute', I've listened to things maybe ... once a year (if that).
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

grunger

16th August 2026, 19:21
Jack

I am sure your mother was very proud of you. I hope it did not put you off an acting career.
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

17th August 2026, 20:56
Thank you, Grunger. Very thoughtful. I didn’t pursue a career in the theatre, but what I learned about “performance” did serve me well in my professional life. Most recently, in relation to a BBC “docudrama” I was cheeky enough to email the producer and ask “who plays me?”. “You do,” was the reply. “You’re on after Mandela.” They used old newsreel footage of the great man and then me. That’s a billing I’ll take any time!
19 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1759