CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

12th August 2026, 14:39
I enjoyed this EV by Gaston, my favourite setter. I knew the theme as I have been in it.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

12th August 2026, 14:55
I too enjoyed the puzzle, Grunger, but that was in spite of the theme! I've never been a fan of 'it' (or the rest of the twosome's output), but it was all quite cleverly done.
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

12th August 2026, 15:32
Add me to the thanks for an excellent puzzle. I'm with Malone on my musical taste for this genre. I'm not exactly highbrow, but don't mind a bit of Carmen, Aida etc. Forget Wagner for bobbycollins!
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th August 2026, 21:44
I enjoyed it too. I like the genre, the wit and songs.

Grunger
Were you one of the characters in the perimeter. Have you been in any of the others?
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

12th August 2026, 21:51
I enjoyed the puzzle, too but like Malone and BC I’m no fan of the couple involved. Unlike BC, however, I have long since been seduced by Wagner. Some years ago I was in the front stalls for a concert performance of Das Rheingold (part of a presentation of the Ring cycle in concert in consecutive years at the Edinburgh Festival). Late on in the opera, an elderly lady in the row behind uttered an audible “Oh” and leant back in her seat. After a moment her companion made his way back to the theatre staff and shortly after that paramedics came in and moved her into the aisle where they spent some minutes doing CPR before she was finally stretchered out. Of course the singers ranged at the front of the stage could see all this going on. But the conductor was faced away from these events and so the performance carried inexorably on. I have to say that when my time comes, dying as she apparently did to the music of the Gods crossing the Rainbow Bridge into Valhalla would not be a bad way to go!
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

grunger

13th August 2026, 14:42
jigjag

No, I was in the chorus so the title was helpful. I have been one of the 3 L Ms from S.

Jack

I liked your tale, most unfortunate. I have corpsed on stage but never died in the audience.
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th August 2026, 20:28
Thank you, Grunger. My time (many decades ago) on the boards was in AmDram rather than Opera. I did get a “mensh” in a newspaper review of a student production of Gorki’s “Lower Depths” at the Fringe in the early ‘70s. “He slouches around, puffs on a pipe and delivers his lines with just the right kind of throwaway nonchalance”. Proudly, I sent the cutting to my mother. “So you were just yourself?” was the stinging reply.
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th August 2026, 06:52
I soon spotted the theme as I did the photographs and acted as front of house for a production. Those two roles were made for me as I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

14th August 2026, 07:37
Jack, I really enjoyed your tales, especially the one about your acting skills. I'm afraid, though,that I will have to take you off my Christmas card list - there's no room on that for anyone who uses the phrase 'Rainbow Bridge'.
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th August 2026, 09:49
I’m sorry to hear that, Malone. Is it a total aversion to Wagner or would I have remained persona grata if I had written “Bifrost”?
10 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1759