CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eviltony

9th February 2024, 13:23
Where can one find answers tonGuardian Genius crosswords? Other than on the Guardian's own page - which seems to be incredibly slow in posting them. I see at present the latest one is from last September.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

jono

9th February 2024, 13:36
EvilTony,
This link should bring up all the blogs up to and including January…

https://www.fifteensquared.net/?s=Genius
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

eviltony

9th February 2024, 13:41
Great, thanks jono.
I wasn’t expecting quite such a prompt response.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

jono

9th February 2024, 14:04
You’re welcome, happy to help.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

manu

10th February 2024, 00:51
May I please use this thread (please forgive me) to ask for information about an old Genius crossword (too early to be blogged on fifteensquared)?
I recently started downloading the very first Geniuses on the guardian xword page. They only come with the grid and the clues, but no special instructions. It was fun working backwards and guessing those instructions until Genius number 10 (April 2004) left me stumped. I'm not making any progress on it.
Would any fan keeping archives have those special instructions somewhere? I know I'm grasping at straws, but who knows.
Thank you for your attention. I hope I'm not ruining this thread with my message.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

quisling

10th February 2024, 09:47
I think these may be the instructions you need. Have a look and see if they might work:

"the 28 solutions are divided into four groups of seven, each member of the group beginning with the same letter. all 28 definitions are normal and positioned with the correct clue number, but the cryptic parts of the clues have been swapped around. the cryptic part for any definition will always be found in a clue whose solution begins with the same letter, though these ignore the initial letter of the solution."
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

manu

10th February 2024, 19:27
Quisling, you're the best. Thank you ever so much.
I sensed that some clue parts had been swapped, but somehow it wasn't enough to get me started.

Thank you.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

quisling

10th February 2024, 20:09
Happy to help. I was interested enough to try the puzzle, and it’s certainly quite tough. I’ll try and finish it tomorrow
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

manu

16th February 2024, 07:57
After a few weeks of long but vain thinking without the special instructions (I had a few answers but couldn't fit them in the grid) , your message helped me fill in the left half of the grid quickly. I struggled to finish it though, but it's done now.
I just can't parse IDS = "present not wrapped up"
Unless I made a mistake somewhere and my letters and cryptic part don't match...
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

manu

16th February 2024, 07:59
Sorry,
the letters and wordplay I am left with are :
IDS = "he's unlikely to rule"

And I can't make sense of it either...
10 of 18  -   Report This Post