CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buddy

22nd January 2024, 12:50
My second puzzle is up in Big Dave's Rookie Corner #510:

https://crypticcrosswords.net/puzzles/rookie-corner/rookie-corner-510/

At least this time I am not competing with the Guardian Genius.
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd January 2024, 14:02
Thanks, Buddy. That was great fun! I really liked some of your clues - 1 A, 8 A and 16 A, 1 D and 24 D. I wasn't keen on 12 A, but I was perhaps being too technical!
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

geting

22nd January 2024, 14:03
That was tough!
17d probably my favourite
Congrats on being published!
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

22nd January 2024, 15:51

Thanks Buddy, enjoyed that.

The hyphen in 5dn caused us a wee problem initially.
Similarly, in 8ac, we know the definition and we have the entry, but can’t quite get the parsing. Interestingly, the back end of the entry is the opposite of “ square”.

Well done on the submission.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd January 2024, 15:57
SS, 5d was an homage to jono who is quite fond of the lift & separate device.

8, Chambers equates "courts" and "squares" in the sense of a courtyard or plaza. then IN = HIP. Not super fond of the wordplay here but I did like the definition.

5 of 16  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd January 2024, 16:15
Very good stuff, Buddy. Excellent surfaces in the main. I’d have preferred ground for stirred in 9d, and am still looking for a way to avoid the gerunds. Maybe “put” and “feel” for “setting” and “feeling” is a bit of a stretch for the definition, though
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd January 2024, 16:23
Maybe: “Put ground coffee in empty bucket. You’ll feel better for it!”
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd January 2024, 19:42
My final suggestion. “Basket case drinks ground coffee behind station - he’ll feel better for it”.

Don’t misinterpret, I thought your puzzle was terrific. Good luck
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd January 2024, 20:05
Quisling, I struggled over that one after foolishly including it in the grid. But I think the placebo effect is not a thing (it) that makes you feel better; it is the act of feeling better. You take a placebo but you feel the placebo effect. That’s a subtle distinction and I may well be wrong, but that’s why I settled on that wording.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd January 2024, 20:37
I gathered from the definition. You really think “he”ll feel better for it” is unacceptably loose as a definition of the answer? I’m glad I’m not a setter, I see twenty worse definitions every day! Anyway. I’ve said enough
10 of 16  -   Report This Post